CTA press release 3/27 Blue Line

2200fan

Hi all,

I was reading this on chicago-l.org and something caught my eye. It stated this work would allow trains to reach speeds over 60 mph. AFAIK, the trains are electronically limited to 55mph, is this in reference to the upcoming 5000 series?

As an "old timer" I do have fond memories of the 2200's doing in excess of 55 when new on the blue line. :D

Usually, when a complete rehabilitation is done, the standard is above the speed limit. For instance, expressways are often engineered to 75 mph even though the speed limit may be 55.

I'm not familiar enough with the cab signal system to know whether the maximum speed can be increased on either the panel in the cab or by the equipment connected to the tracks. Since you say that the 2200s could have exceed that, you would be in a better position to know.

While the signal system is being upgraded for, among other reasons, to accommodate 5000s, with the last of that work being done on the Blue Line from Jefferson Park to Forest Park, the same system is obviously being used with the existing equipment now.

Also, with the fewer seats, and those being longitudinal, I doubt that rapid acceleration and deceleration would do much for passenger comfort.

Also, with the fewer seats, and those being longitudinal, I doubt that rapid acceleration and deceleration would do much for passenger comfort.

But then, since when has anybody in control at CTA had any care or concern for passenger comfort (consider backward and hide behind the driver seats on the Novas, or simple lack of seating in order to accomodate shopping carts, strollers and more standees).