Valerie Jarrett

trainman8119

With the recent Obama Presidential win, it has become more known that Valerie Jarrett

is one of his closest advisors. While watching one of the news shows this morning, she

seems competent and well spoken when talking about the transition team, of which she

is leading the way on.

However, us bus geeks might also remember her as being chairwoman of the CTA board (or

at least I believe she was the chair, and not just a board member). What I can't remember

is if she was any good, or just another version of Carole Brown (I can't believe anyone

could be as out of touch as she is).

Was she a competent board member/chair, or just the typical politician filling the board

seat and collecting a paycheck ????

She comes from a very distinguished family (various reports are that her grandfather was the Robert Taylor after whom the now demolished homes were named, and I remember her father in law, Vernon Jarrett on Channel 7), and apparently got her start under Harold Washington.

However, on the CTA side, she is obviously a Daley appointee, and was the Board Chairman when Mosena was brought in to do the 1997 cuts, and then Kruesi was brought in from DOT. One would think that Kruesi got his DOT job through Emanuel while the latter was in the Clinton White House (note the tribute in the Congressional Record). Hence, one can only determine that she differs from Carole Brown in that she didn't have a blog, and thus was not as upfront in a funding crusade nor as obvious in opening herself to justifiable criticism, but went along with the downsizing then recommended.

Of course, according to the Chicago Defender, everything was fine under her watch.

What scares me is all these Chicago political cronies going to Washington to run the country. We dont need any more problems than we have already!
That may be going off topic, but there are indications of that. For instance, googling Jarrett indicated that she gave Michelle Robinson (now Obama) a city job, and both are involved with the U of C Hospitals. There may be some incestuous things going on, as indicated by my citing Emanuel's tribute to Kruesi.

Now the real question--does the Olympic Committee now think it has to satisfy the U.S. President by locating the games about a 1/2 mile from his reported home (somewhere near 50th and Greenwood)? Does this give any fodder to those saying the Olympics will result in infrastructure money?

That may be going off topic, but there are indications of that. For instance, googling Jarrett indicated that she gave Michelle Robinson (now Obama) a city job, and both are involved with the U of C Hospitals. There may be some incestuous things going on, as indicated by my citing Emanuel's tribute to Kruesi.

Now the real question--does the Olympic Committee now think it has to satisfy the U.S. President by locating the games about a 1/2 mile from his reported home (somewhere near 50th and Greenwood)? Does this give any fodder to those saying the Olympics will result in infrastructure money?

Going off topic but if this city wants the 2016 games, it better get its act together, getting control of all the violence that grips this city, improve our transportation or lack thereof.

Shouldn't political talk not directly related to the CTA be discussed in a totally different forum. As for being scared about 'so many Chicago cronies' going to Washington. Outside Rahm Emmanuel, I don't think any Chicago politicos have really confirmed they accepted a position in the incoming administration. The only two really big players from Chicago the media touted for future spots are Jarrett and David Axelrod. How about we wait until the inauguration and see the new administration get down to work before we start up horror scenarios. From how well that campaign was run, I'm confident the next president will run a tight enough ship to cut down any major damage to the govt. He already put campaign workers on notice that whole time about infighting and backstabbing or going too far to win. Emmanuel is given kudos nationally for being efficient and getting the job done, and the national media can be much more critical than Chicago's. Now does anyone have more info on Valerie Jarrett and her time as CTA Chairman which is the topic here?