"Secret" Purple-to-Brown Transfers

dauber

So....considering that all the Brown Line stops from Belmont to Merchandise Mart are also Purple Line Express stops, why don't CTA maps and the automated announcements indicate these as Brown-to-Purple or Purple-to-Brown transfer points?? In other words, why would Fullerton be marked as such, but not Diversey?? Is it just a way to save money (i.e. less in in printing maps, etc.)?? Or will someone from CTA come out and whap you in the head if you get off a Brown Line train at Armitage and get on a Purple Line Express???

So....considering that all the Brown Line stops from Belmont to Merchandise Mart are also Purple Line Express stops, why don't CTA maps and the automated announcements indicate these as Brown-to-Purple or Purple-to-Brown transfer points?? In other words, why would Fullerton be marked as such, but not Diversey?? Is it just a way to save money (i.e. less in in printing maps, etc.)?? Or will someone from CTA come out and whap you in the head if you get off a Brown Line train at Armitage and get on a Purple Line Express???

This is a guess - looking at the maps it appears that CTA indicates the first and last stations where one can transfer. Maybe they figure by indicating all transfer points them map will be less cluttered.

Gene King

Basically, it doesn't make much difference, unless the direction around the Loop is somehow significant, in which you can transfer at the wider platforms.

If someone wants to get on a Brown Line at, say, Sedgwick, and then transfer to the Purple Line at Diversey, that's their business. They could have just waited for the next Purple.

The transfer points are basically between the Red and the Brown or Purple, although I suppose that someone going from Ravenswood to Evanston might want to transfer, which they can do more conveniently at Belmont.