Midwest Transit Bus Museum

buslist

don't know if this should be in the CTA or the PACE thread but,

many of you probably aren't aware of the Midwest Transit bus Museum.  There storage yard is in Crest Hill.

Here are 4 shots taken at their storage facility

In the first shot the 4 'bowls are a Milwaukee 5301, a CTA  8500 series Flx, a West Towns 4519 (painted as the Zoo Bus) and a West Towns 4517 that was rebuilt byBlitz I believe with underfloor AC, the last bus is a CTA 8400 series 35' Flx Twin.

Same line up in the second shot but the 4509 is ex West Towns, nee San Diego Transit, and the 5105 is ex Milwaukee.

The line up in the third shot is an ex West Towns C-45 (later Fenwick High School) an ex West Towns 4519, a CTA 7100 series C-45, a CTA 8200 series 40' Flx Twin, a CTA trolley bus and an ex Milwaukee 400?

The final shot is the same line up from the other side.

(can't get the files to go in the order I described them but you can figure it out.)

Looks like it's a CTA Museum only, but they might also put PACE Buses there.  Is that 7100 series bus you speak of a M.A.N Articulated or is that one of those Mack Buses?

Yes its a 7100 series C-45 MACK

As to CTA vs. Pace I count 6 ex CTA buses  (there is a 600 series GM not shown) and 5 ex West Towns buses (predessor of PACE) all but one owned and operated by the RTA, so its close.

Thanks. Is the collection open, either regularly or by appointment? I came across it while driving by on a Sunday and took a couple shots through the fence. I originally thought it was Chicagoland Historic Bus Museum, but none of the buses matched their roster.

Is the collection open, either regularly or by appointment?  I came across it while driving by on a Sunday and took a couple shots through the fence.  

Not open any regular hours that I'm aware of.  However the buses are located in a large storage yard, has many construction trailers etc.  The gates are usually open during business hours on weekdays.  There is often a guard in the trailer at the entrance who is friendly if you just tell him that you are just looking.

I notice that the is now a company selling mulch out of the yard, thus they may be open on weekends.