2600's on Brown Line

Zol87

I saw something a little more unusual yesterday. I had an Orange Line train that had 4 Red Line cars coupled to it. My train consisted of 3254-3253-2789-2790-2657-2658-3208-3207. I know they were borrowed cars for a few days because they still retained their Red Line maps, but it was kinda weird seeing 2600-series cars on the Orange Line. My ultimate question is if there are 354 to 358 cars officially assigned to the Red Line, how many cars are actually used for Red Line service during the heaviest part of rush hour- considering 16 to 32 cars are borrowed to the Brown Line, approx. 8 or so are sometimes used on the Purple Line, up to 6 may be used for Yellow Line service, and lastly the few cars not in service for repairs or so?

I saw something a little more unusual yesterday. I had an Orange Line train that had 4 Red Line cars coupled to it. My train consisted of 3254-3253-2789-2790-2657-2658-3208-3207. I know they were borrowed cars for a few days because they still retained their Red Line maps, but it was kinda weird seeing 2600-series cars on the Orange Line. My ultimate question is if there are 354 to 358 cars officially assigned to the Red Line, how many cars are actually used for Red Line service during the heaviest part of rush hour- considering 16 to 32 cars are borrowed to the Brown Line, approx. 8 or so are sometimes used on the Purple Line, up to 6 may be used for Yellow Line service, and lastly the few cars not in service for repairs or so?

It wouldn't have been unusual to see anything out of the ordinary yesterday, either with train equipment or buses, because of stepped up supplements for both to get people to and from the Taste and last night's Fireworks Show.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know when and why the Orange Line has taken over running the extras on the Brown Line instead of the Red Line? My guess would be so the equipment is the same and people on the North-Side Mainline (Fullerton and Belmont) don't get confused when they board a Brown Line train with a Red Line maps inside the cars.

Does anyone know when and why the Orange Line has taken over running the extras on the Brown Line instead of the Red Line? My guess would be so the equipment is the same and people on the North-Side Mainline (Fullerton and Belmont) don't get confused when they board a Brown Line train with a Red Line maps inside the cars.

After picking up a couple of stories from chicagobus.org, the CTA Tattler has one on this. And, as I previously mentioned, an issue of yard capacity.