brown line morrison knudsens

trey824

has any one seen those brown line cars numbered in the mid to higher 3400 s with the old pantograph things on the roof?

Those 16 particular M-K's are cars 3441-3456, of which 12 of them (3441-3452) are assigned to the Brown Line. 3453-3456 are still on the Yellow Line. You don't see them often on that line because the Brown Line has 140 other 3300s and 3400s without the roof boards which previously held pantographs for the Yellow Line. The pantographs were removed in late 2004 after the west end of the Yellow Line converted to third-rail operation although the roof boards remain in place.

And the shortage of yard space at the Kimball Yard is critical because during owl and on weekends, some of the Brown Line cars are laid up at the underutilized Harlem Yard (at the west end of the Green Line).

Those 16 particular M-K's are cars 3441-3456, of which 12 of them (3441-3452) are assigned to the Brown Line. 3453-3456 are still on the Yellow Line. You don't see them often on that line because the Brown Line has 140 other 3300s and 3400s without the roof boards which previously held pantographs for the Yellow Line. The pantographs were removed in late 2004 after the west end of the Yellow Line converted to third-rail operation although the roof boards remain in place.

And the shortage of yard space at the Kimball Yard is critical because during owl and on weekends, some of the Brown Line cars are laid up at the underutilized Harlem Yard (at the west end of the Green Line).

oh ok. it would be preety cool to see cta bring back pantograph power.

They get runs.

On Friday night (27 Feb.), while waiting for a westbound #72 North bus at North & Halsted [@ 21:15], I espied two of them on a southbound Brown Line "L" train. However, I didn't see the numbers. (My bus arrived very swiftly.)

They get runs.

On Friday night (27 Feb.), while waiting for a westbound #72 North bus at North & Halsted [@ 21:15], I espied two of them on a southbound Brown Line "L" train. However, I didn't see the numbers. (My bus arrived very swiftly.)

I also saw them on Friday, but earlier in the day during the PM rush at about 4:15pm while waiting for the 148 at State/Van Buren. I also didn't get to see the numbers because the bus came quickly for me as well.

This past Friday around 1520, a southbound eight car Brown all with the pantograph supports, picked me up at Addison. I didn't check the numbers.

OT, but interesting none the less, that same morning an eight car southbound Brown consisted of only 2600s.

OT, but interesting none the less, that same morning an eight car southbound Brown consisted of only 2600s.

This is because the Brown Line is currently short on cars officially assigned to it even with the increase - and the Kimball Yard is short on capacity (to the point where some of its 3300s-3400s get laid up at other facilities during off-peak hours). Therefore, the Brown Line borrows some equipment from the Red Line as needed.