Chicago L - Fantasy Expansion

Tcmetro

Actually, that map isn't that unrealistic. I wonder if there is enough stimulus money to dig all those subways (and whether you can have 2 mode service in some corridors), but most of it is on existing right of way and conforms to other plans.

It certainly isn't like the one on the web to build a polder in Lake Michigan.

And, at least they would implement the Gray Line, as well as art's South Chicago route, while killing the 63rd Street branches.

I won't argue the feasibility of some of the proposals, but just having a map with a bunch of lines wasn't clicking in my head properly. =p
Basically, one has to look at the accompanying inset, and the description of corridors to see where the lines were going.

Also, on first reading, I didn't distinguish between rapid transit and light rail, which the proposal does. However, both seem to be proposed around Western Ave.

The text also explains the concepts behind the plan, as well as transit related development. I'm not so sure that there needs to be a 2 mile separated grid for rapid transit, and generally access within 1/2 mile in the core area, which was one of the service standards.

Some of the proposals could be useful, such as connecting the Brown Line to Jefferson Park.

If the Mid-City Transitway is built as rapid transit, there could be an Outer Circle Line that would use the Brown Line, MCT, new crosstown line on the Southside (79th?), to the Green Line and back to the Brown Line through the Loop.

Some of the proposals could be useful, such as connecting the Brown Line to Jefferson Park.

If the Mid-City Transitway is built as rapid transit, there could be an Outer Circle Line that would use the Brown Line, MCT, new crosstown line on the Southside (79th?), to the Green Line and back to the Brown Line through the Loop.

Although the proposal for the MidCity here is in segments, proposals for it have always included the right of way between 74th and 75th. While the usual proposal then follows the railroad to angle it to 87th/Red Line, these guys shot it toward 71st to connect with their South Chicago line.

While obviously, at 71st, you could have it head north rather than south, there would sure have to be a lot of development along the Green Line to justify that, given current ridership figures. If the theory was that the mere existence of transit would spur development, it sure hasn't happened there (i.e. there is a new Garfield station, but none of the associated transit oriented development that was promised, sort of similar to that which was built at Pulaski and Lake). Maybe if you leave out the Brown Line (on which 8 car trains are justified, as opposed to 4 on the Green), and, of course, eliminate the current Green Line trains, but leaving out the Brown destroys your loop.