Couple of Pink Line questions...

dauber

So...I had jury duty today, so I rode the Pink Line, something I've done maybe three times since it opened, as I never really have reason to ride it....a couple of observations:

1) I took the 94 South bus from the courthouse to the Pink Line. The announcement and sign said Cermak was the Pink Line transfer point. I found that odd, because I know the Pink Line is actually at 21st and has a south-bound stop right there...hmm, I thought maybe that the next northbound stop was actually well beyond the station and that's why the Cermak stop was designated as the Pink Line transfer point...but nope -- as I walked to the station, I saw that there is indeed a 94 stop right there. So why do they tell you to transfer further back???

2) Heading toward the loop, the recorded announcement tells you to "transfer to Green Line trains to Harlem" at Ashland...why does it specifically say Harlem when you can actually transfer to the south-bound trains there as well??? (and without having to go to the other platform)

So...I had jury duty today, so I rode the Pink Line, something I've done maybe three times since it opened, as I never really have reason to ride it....a couple of observations:

1) I took the 94 South bus from the courthouse to the Pink Line. The announcement and sign said Cermak was the Pink Line transfer point. I found that odd, because I know the Pink Line is actually at 21st and has a south-bound stop right there...hmm, I thought maybe that the next northbound stop was actually well beyond the station and that's why the Cermak stop was designated as the Pink Line transfer point...but nope -- as I walked to the station, I saw that there is indeed a 94 stop right there. So why do they tell you to transfer further back???

2) Heading toward the loop, the recorded announcement tells you to "transfer to Green Line trains to Harlem" at Ashland...why does it specifically say Harlem when you can actually transfer to the south-bound trains there as well??? (and without having to go to the other platform)

To answer your 1st question, the announcement says Cermak Pink Line alluding to the 54/Cermak destination of the train. Yes it would be easier to just say Pink line, but you should've just heard Cermak (for Cermak) and then the next stop would be Cermak Pink Line. Perhaps the announcement came too soon and thus it became confusing. I have heard eastbound on 35th the Red Line announcement just as we approach Wentworth and some people have actually gotten off at Wentworth, not realizing that the Red Line station had a stop and we were just at Wentworth. If you really want to get confused, ride the 49 Western local bus north of 18th, all of the stops are off. You won't hear the Roosevelt announcement until after you have passed Roosevelt.

As for your 2nd question, you must transfer at Ashland for the westbound Green Line trains but it is not necessary to transfer there for the southbound Green Line trains. You can do that anywhere between Ashland and Adams/Wabash and not change platforms. Yet it would be easier to just say transfer to Green Line trains, but you get that announcement at Clark/Lake and Adams/Wabash.

But you CAN change to a westbound Green Line at Clark/Lake, though, n'est-ce pas??

(Or am I really just getting too darn confused about things that I will never, ever have to do anyway? :) )

This is the same debate as someone asking why every station between Merchandise Mart and Belmont wasn't a transfer station between Purple and Brown. The answer is that there is no reason to do that.

If you are going from Pink to Harlem, if you don't get off at Ashland, several Green Line trains will be going in the opposite direction by the time you get to Clark and Lake, so your travel time increases by, say, 20 minutes.

On the other hand, if you are going from Pink to da South Side, it doesn't matter where you transfer, because the next 63rd train is behind you, and the way things are configured, can't pass your train. You can transfer up to the last chance at Roosevelt/Wabash, for all that matters, and it won't make any difference.

This is the same debate as someone asking why every station between Merchandise Mart and Belmont wasn't a transfer station between Purple and Brown. The answer is that there is no reason to do that.

If you are going from Pink to Harlem, if you don't get off at Ashland, several Green Line trains will be going in the opposite direction by the time you get to Clark and Lake, so your travel time increases by, say, 20 minutes.

On the other hand, if you are going from Pink to da South Side, it doesn't matter where you transfer, because the next 63rd train is behind you, and the way things are configured, can't pass your train. You can transfer up to the last chance at Roosevelt/Wabash, for all that matters, and it won't make any difference.

If you are riding the Pink Line, your last chance to change to a SB Green Line is at Adams/Wabash. The last chance to transfer to SB Green at Roosevelt would either be on Orange Line or Red Line subway at Roosevelt

If you are riding the Pink Line, your last chance to change to a SB Green Line is at Adams/Wabash. The last chance to transfer to SB Green at Roosevelt would either be on Orange Line or Red Line subway at Roosevelt

Sorry, brain cramp on my part. :rolleyes: The basic principle remains, however.