Metra closed off car

MRChiCity

How come on off peak and weekend Metra trains some of the Cars are closed off? Please let me know thank you.

It has been discussed before, someplace here. Anyway, cars are open on an as need basis. This makes ticket collection easier, spotting on the platform easier, and keeps crew close by on a safety basis. Cars that are open depend on the district and the location of the ADA car in the consist.

How come on off peak and weekend Metra trains some of the Cars are closed off? Please let me know thank you.
In some instances, it is because there are not enough conductors to open & close the doors on those cars.

I got on an outbound UP West Line train to Elburn at Ogilvie Station on one Sunday afternoon. It was sufficiently crowded that the train crew was allowing passengers to occupy the 'closed' cars; but they were explicitly informed that the doors of those cars would not open at any station.

It really has nothing to do with people opening and closing doors. One person is responsible for that, whether 2 cars are open or 9. Sometimes platforms are short, and it is easier to control stops with less cars open. UP and BN because of the ridership generally have larger crews on trains, most notably during off peak times. Many of their trains will have 3 man crews...Metra trains will always have 2, with the higher volume trains having that added collector during the rush. During an event, such as the Taste, the extra boards will get taxed to add collectors. Again, it is easier to monitor who gets on and off, collect a fare, maintain order, address questions, and overall just be in position should something occur with less cars open. I will say, however, in some cases, and I repeat some, the Conductor in charge should open another car when things get tight, but that is generally a judgement call. You're more likely to see Metra owned lines have their crews open cars sooner than the contract carriers..why, I am not sure.

• 3 months later...

It almost seems like on the UP-N line, they are using old Budd built coaches as 'idler' cars between the locomotive and the first coach open.

I thought for a while it might have been a security issue or something, but figure that they rarely switch cars, and usually keep trains assembled for a long time, at least until maintenance comes for a coach.

My thoughts, with the Budd cars being old, that they would rather reserve them for peak service, maybe as a means of prolonging their longevity.

I have had to almost beg crewmen to let me ride in the closed Budd cars. I would rather ride a Budd (Or better yet, a Pullman-Standard) anyday, then a newer coach.

The old cars, were warm in the winter, cool in the summer. The new stuff feels tepid all the time.