2 trains at one station

ibebobo

If there is one train stopped at a station and the opposite train is supposed to stop, is the first train supposed to wait for the second to stop before departing? This would prevent a passenger from crossing in front of the next train from the opposite direction. I had thought I read somewhere that was supposed to happen.

If there is one train stopped at a station and the opposite train is supposed to stop, is the first train supposed to wait for the second to stop before departing? This would prevent a passenger from crossing in front of the next train from the opposite direction. I had thought I read somewhere that was supposed to happen.

This kinda depends on where it was. For the most part that is the rule rather than the exception these days for the reason you stated. However, if there is a fence separating the tracks 2 trains can occupy a station at the same time. This would occur on the Milwaukee North. In some cases, there are 3 tracks, as on the UPNW and the same would apply as long as both entered the station at the same time and cleared the rear end of the opposing train prior to stopping. It is also possible to put two trains in the station at once, but for that to happen, one member of the train already stopped must be at the rear end protecting any knucklehead in a hurry to cross behind it or protect any pedestrian crossing (as at Big Timber on the Milwaukee West).

So like everything else, there is always an exception to the rule.

Of course this is all based on that incident where a child was hit crossing the track in front of an oncoming train, I believe on the UPW.

On routes like the Milw N where there is a fence between tracks, I believe that both trains sit in the station, because there is usually a pedestrian grade crossing (certainly the case between Lake Forest and Golf). For instance, if you get off the northbound at Lake Cook, you have to wait for the southbound train to leave the station before the northbound train will, and then you can cross the tracks.

It was reported some time back in the Pioneer Press or On the BiLevel that there were complaints that a northbound freight kept people from crossing over to get to the southbound Metra, but the response was basically to get to the station earlier.

Of course this is all based on that incident where a child was hit crossing the track in front of an oncoming train, I believe on the UPW.

Actually it was the MDW at River Grove. There was a rule in place at the time, but it was basically rewritten in Metra books after the incident.