South Holland

rotjohns

I had the unexpected pleasure to see Pace's South Holland facility today, don't ask how I managed to run into it, it's a long story. Anyway, I saw a lot of Eldos waiting to be put on the road, new Paratransit vehicles on the side of the building, a bunch of small gray and blue small vehicles in the back (don't know what those are) and some old Orions. 8906 is there among other 8900s, hadn't seen those buses since they were taken out of service several years ago. So is 2330 and 2329, all still in their same Pace colors, not with the black stripe around it meaning scrapped, although I saw quite a few of those on some of those older Orions. I also saw the Orion IV that was destroyed (forgot what bus number that was but I know it's a 6000 bus) and the infamous 6173, which looked awful. What a shame. But I'm curious about something, as I was cruising around the South burbs and saw a couple 2400s and late 6100s, why is it those buses need a PAINT JOB? Even the newer Nabis over there looked as if the paint was fading. The 2400s are especially bad, but I know they'll be the next to go in a couple of years so maybe it's not on the "to do" list for Pace. Do they keep some buses outside because that facility doesn't look all that big to me? I know if you go west or north, none of those buses seem to have this issue, only the south. Also, anybody know what those gray/blue small vehicles are for?

I had the unexpected pleasure to see Pace's South Holland facility today, don't ask how I managed to run into it, it's a long story. Anyway, I saw a lot of Eldos waiting to be put on the road, new Paratransit vehicles on the side of the building, a bunch of small gray and blue small vehicles in the back (don't know what those are) and some old Orions. 8906 is there among other 8900s, hadn't seen those buses since they were taken out of service several years ago. So is 2330 and 2329, all still in their same Pace colors, not with the black stripe around it meaning scrapped, although I saw quite a few of those on some of those older Orions. I also saw the Orion IV that was destroyed (forgot what bus number that was but I know it's a 6000 bus) and the infamous 6173, which looked awful. What a shame. But I'm curious about something, as I was cruising around the South burbs and saw a couple 2400s and late 6100s, why is it those buses need a PAINT JOB? Even the newer Nabis over there looked as if the paint was fading. The 2400s are especially bad, but I know they'll be the next to go in a couple of years so maybe it's not on the "to do" list for Pace. Do they keep some buses outside because that facility doesn't look all that big to me? I know if you go west or north, none of those buses seem to have this issue, only the south. Also, anybody know what those gray/blue small vehicles are for?

The Orion I's you saw along the West and South side of the South Holland garage were some of the buses used for Ravinia being returned at the end of the season.The gray/blue paratransit vehicles are used by townships,e.g.Worth Township etc.

Also, South Holland is not the South Division, which is at 163rd west of Dixie Highway in Markham. That facility is certainly large enough to hold the buses assigned there.

South Holland is basically the acceptance division and electronics repair shop. A driver out of South had an explanation of what goes on there.

The only explanation I have on why South division buses look so worn is that that is the only division where the buses get intensively used. West might be close regarding use, but their buses are newer. Also, that driver complained that the 6600s South got from other places weren't that well maintained.

The discussion about the community vehicles is here.

You know, I forgot about the fact S. Holland is basically a repair shop. That explains why that building was so small. But I am somewhat surprised the 6600s weren't well maintained considering they are newer. But I guess every division is different.

As far as south buses getting intensively used, I could understand that. Some of those buses are out until 1am if they work all day (which I'd hope they don't). That's much later than the majority of buses in Pace's system except maybe the 223 up north and the 332 from West. I think there's another thread somewhere where somebody was complaining about how bad the 2400s are running right now.