The 2500's

MetroShadow

Maybe I missed the boat, if we ever discussed this, but when did the 2500's retire from service?

I guess I should address the question of "why" since those were put in service at the same time the 2390's were brought to the region, yet left by the time the 2600's arrived.

About when the first 2600s completed delivery, some time around mid-2007.

They were only 10 year buses, and put in about 10 years. Most of them (except for some at NS) weren't directly replaced by 2600s. In places like Lisle and Joliet they were replaced by 6600s (Lisle, from Aurora), and Wheaton by school buses (at least on 712). While the Lombard feeder had an ElDorado, that was replaced by a paratransit, until MV got the 2700s probably in early 2008. The ones in NS and Lisle were rust buckets, even though lightly used

The more surprising thing is that we presumed that the first 72 or so 2600s were solely to replace the 1920s and 2500s, but it really didn't work out that way, at least directly with regard to the 2500s

Update: The notice for bids selling most of them was dated June 14, 2007 and says they were 1996s. That covered 38 of 56, but, by then, they were pretty much all gone.