Green Light Special

artthouwill

The other day I noticed a strange light on cars 2433 and 2434. If you are at the rear of the car (the end opposite the motorman's cab) and you look up where the lights are over the first set of doors (Doors 1 and 2)there is a bulb that faces the rest of the car. When the doors are opened, a green light comes on and remains on until the doors are closed. I have never seen this light on any 2400s or 2600s before and I have only seen it on these two cars. It would not be possible for these lights to be in the same position on a 2200 or 3200 series car and probably not possible on a 5000. If anyone has any insight on this or manages to ride 2433 and 2434 on the Green Line, let me know what is up?

The other day I noticed a strange light on cars 2433 and 2434. If you are at the rear of the car (the end opposite the motorman's cab) and you look up where the lights are over the first set of doors (Doors 1 and 2)there is a bulb that faces the rest of the car. When the doors are opened, a green light comes on and remains on until the doors are closed. I have never seen this light on any 2400s or 2600s before and I have only seen it on these two cars. It would not be possible for these lights to be in the same position on a 2200 or 3200 series car and probably not possible on a 5000. If anyone has any insight on this or manages to ride 2433 and 2434 on the Green Line, let me know what is up?

Those lights are also in 2435 and 2436 and two other sets of cars. Its weird because they really don't serve a purpose. My guess would be these cars were the guinea pigs of some experiment that didn't follow through or is in the works to come. It seems the 2400 series are always the guinea pigs for something like 2579 and 2580 becoming the first cars with full-width converted cabs or 2503 having different style lighting scheme.

Those lights are also in 2435 and 2436 and two other sets of cars. Its weird because they really don't serve a purpose. My guess would be these cars were the guinea pigs of some experiment that didn't follow through or is in the works to come. It seems the 2400 series are always the guinea pigs for something like 2579 and 2580 becoming the first cars with full-width converted cabs or 2503 having different style lighting scheme.

Opinion... these could be as a result of the problems with open doors on the system. This green light can be an all clear signal to the 'motorman' when the doors are closed and secure. The 10pm ABC news said it costs 14 mil to put physical conductors on the system for this purpose. A bit much compared to our state reps chartering a plane at $3000 per hr for daily trips from Midway to Springfield.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7126729