CTA Anti Discrimination Notice

Zol87

I've noticed this sign posted on buses and trains lately. It refers to the 1964 Civil Rights Act and how the CTA is complying with it. Does anyone know why this new sign was posted?

post-287-12726398159955_thumb.jpg

Why would CTA post a sign like this for?

Why would CTA post a sign like this for?

• In 99% of the cases, because the feds make them do it.
  • A more immediate cause is that the Chicago Bar-Tender, at least formerly on Chicago Now, had a report about several African American former employees suing because they "believed" that their firings were racially motivated. Now, considering the demographic composition of the CTA's managerial force, I wondered about that. Notwithstanding that, their Legal Department must feel it necessary to send out the word that it doesn't continence violating the Civil Rights Act.

I almost posted a legal goof here. CTA mentions Title VI, because that deals with recipients of federal funds, and clearly applies. I was thinking more about Title VII, which is job discrimination, and Title II, on public accommodations, which would also apply.

Thanks for part of that insight Busjack. I wanted to pose that same question after noticing these signs toward the middle of last week, but couldn't get around to it while waiting for a transfer of internet service due to a recent move.

• 5 weeks later...

Pace North bus 2421 has a similar notice on the first left-side passenger window. Haven't so far seen it on any other vehicle, but then, with moving within Waukegan, and a trip up North, I haven't been riding as much as usual.

All our Pace buses at Academy had the notices placed in them. Personally I dont think its necessary to post these notices on public transit buses. Its a very sensitive topic and I dont think it needs to be reminded everywhere you go. Its like having cameras all over the place, no matter where you go youre reminded youre being watched. I think its overkill.

I do agree it is a sensitive topic, a social hot button. However, I am thinking that someone had to provoke the need for it. As one of the North drivers and I discussed over the phone earlier this evening, we think it may (keyword: MAY) be posted on some North buses due to the probability we won''t receive any new ElDorado buses up here, but instead, get used buses from other divisions, like we are with the 6600s.

Plus, one of the North drivers is taking Pace to court over discimination. It actually, from my observations, is a bit of a problem in North Division. I could elaborate, but would rather do so by PM for those interested.

2421, as long as I have lived in Waukegan, has always been a North bus.

South does have all the 40' NABIs from that order, except for 2401 and 2421, those two are at North, and have been so at least since early 2004 when I moved here.

I will grant you, it is some (probably) far-fetched guesswork on my part as to what provoked the notice. I am probably wrong, on the basis CTA had the notices first.

Nope, 2401 and 2421 were originally at South (at least when they were delivered in 1999). North got 25 35 footers, essentially 2423 to 2447. South got the other 5 35 footers, 2448-2452. There were various swaps since then, involving 2401 and 2421 and various 35 footers, finally resulting in South being left with only 2451-2452.

• Upvote 1

I see. As I said, I moved to Waukegan (From Concord, California) in 2004, though the midwest is home turf for me (Grew up in Davenport, IA as a kid, family moved to Lake Bluff at age 13. As an over ambitious young man I moved to California, hoping to take on Silicon Valley. It chewed me up and spit me out wiser, hence moving back to Illinois).

2421 has been here for years, though I don't quite remember if it was brought to North before, or around the time I moved to Waukegan. Memory is fuzzy.

Back on topic, I will ask the North Division manager next I see him if he knows what the deal is with that notice. Might get a generic answer, or I may hit gold and get an in depth reason. No harm in asking!