Pace 2011 budget

Busjack

This was posted,* but leaves more questions than answers.

The one clear thing on the bus roster is that there are no Nova Classics. 20 1999 NABI 40 footers are listed, so one in addition to 2453 must be dead. 157 Orion VIs are listed, and we figured that three were dead. There are still 45 Orion Is and no 2010 El Dorados. Of course, the question is when they counted and what they counted.

The surprising thing is that they said that the 2011 budget was for 96 40 foot vehicles. 36 would be federal funds, but 60 are from the state bond money, and according to them, all the state ones must be "green buses." On page 110, they even indicate 9 for the 2010 capital plan. Since they say that the budget assumes no increase in service, they must also claim to have enough money to take out about 40 to 50 of the 2000 Orion VIs (again assuming some slack due to the dead buses, above). Of course they mention near the end the problems in bonding out the state program.

Last year they mentioned money to buy land for a new Northwest garage, but nothing was said about it in this budget. Does that mean that the project was dropped, or that it was adequately funded in 2010?**

*Link is to large pdf file.

**Update: I did a search in the pdf for "Northwest," and the discussion of the unconstrained capital plan on page 49 (53 of the pdf) says that based on the constrained budget, "Replacement of the Northwest Cook and South Holland garages will not be possible, just as an example. Both of these facilities are functionally obsolete. It will take several years to catch up with these replacements unless Pace receives a major increase in capital funding levels."

So, I guess I missed something with the first speed reading. Sorry.

• Upvote 1

Well let the speculation begin on where the 96 buses will be going. I think it's obvious the 2400s will see the end of the road and the worst of the Orion VIs will be gone too. But I'm gonna withhold any possibilities as to where the new buses will end up until time gets closer because there are way too many scenerios that are out there.

I do wonder though how Pace 2020 came out of testing and if they are getting the 96 buses from El Dorado National or someone else?

It's 2010, and besides that, they usually have to put them out to bid, especially if it is as big an order as indicated (and I'm not betting that it is, given the bonding contingency and that the budget is never an accurate guide; note my expression "they must also claim to have enough money")

We probably figured that ElDorado was going to get the 2 30 foot hybrid order, until Daimler did.

This was posted,* but leaves more questions than answers.

The one clear thing on the bus roster is that there are no Nova Classics. 20 1999 NABI 40 footers are listed, so one in addition to 2453 must be dead. 157 Orion VIs are listed, and we figured that three were dead. There are still 45 Orion Is and no 2010 El Dorados. Of course, the question is when they counted and what they counted.

The surprising thing is that they said that the 2011 budget was for 96 40 foot vehicles. 36 would be federal funds, but 60 are from the state bond money, and according to them, all the state ones must be "green buses." On page 110, they even indicate 9 for the 2010 capital plan. Since they say that the budget assumes no increase in service, they must also claim to have enough money to take out about 40 to 50 of the 2000 Orion VIs (again assuming some slack due to the dead buses, above). Of course they mention near the end the problems in bonding out the state program.

Last year they mentioned money to buy land for a new Northwest garage, but nothing was said about it in this budget. Does that mean that the project was dropped, or that it was adequately funded in 2010?**

*Link is to large pdf file.

**Update: I did a search in the pdf for "Northwest," and the discussion of the unconstrained capital plan on page 49 (53 of the pdf) says that based on the constrained budget, "Replacement of the Northwest Cook and South Holland garages will not be possible, just as an example. Both of these facilities are functionally obsolete. It will take several years to catch up with these replacements unless Pace receives a major increase in capital funding levels."

So, I guess I missed something with the first speed reading. Sorry.

Also interesting that they have listed the 5 new buses for Downers Grove in 2008 (001-005) for the first time, but not the secondhand 006 which I guess Downers Grove bought itself, as 32' El Dorado's - it through me first time I looked at it!

Also interesting that they have listed the 5 new buses for Downers Grove in 2008 (001-005) for the first time, but not the secondhand 006 which I guess Downers Grove bought itself, as 32' El Dorado's - it through me first time I looked at it!

Good catch, I didn't see that the first time, either.

With regard to the 5 buses, Pace had advertised specs for those and entered into some kind of lease arrangement with DG. With regard to the spare, DG originally authorized spending $70,000 to purchase a used bus, but then later said that they found a new one on a dealer's lot for less, so they own the spare.

It took a lot of Googling to find the links for that.

Good catch, I didn't see that the first time, either.

With regard to the 5 buses, Pace had advertised specs for those and entered into some kind of lease arrangement with DG. With regard to the spare, DG originally authorized spending $70,000 to purchase a used bus, but then later said that they found a new one on a dealer's lot for less, so they own the spare.

It took a lot of Googling to find the links for that.

I am impressed that you found that piece of information - I had 006 as a used bus as I had only found the original minutes.