Red Line expansion

service to 103rd

The CTA has been comtemplating about expanding, the rail lines, i haventheard much about it, but the orange line could be expanded to 76th/cicero. ford city mall.

I think it would be unnecessary and waste of money for Orange Line to be expanded to Ford City period, that Mall has been dying down for years. But It would also meaning that the SW Pace routes(except 386) would be no longer serving Midway Station.

There was an article a month or two ago stating that out of the various rail line extension that are being considered (Red, Orange, Yellow, Circle), the Red Line extension to 130th is the first priority.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/traffic/ct-met-getting-around-0927-20100926,0,5288541.column

May I suggest that instead of speculating or posting what you heard, going to the CTA's "new starts" page.

As far as not hearing anything lately, it may be because it is mired at Step 2 of the process, or the process has been slowed down because the state match has not been found. Although not exactly on point for this topic, at least NICTD came out and said as much with regard to one participant asking why he hasn't heard much about the West Lake Corridor lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be unnecessary and waste of money for Orange Line to be expanded to Ford City period, that Mall has been dying down for years. But It would also meaning that the SW Pace routes(except 386) would be no longer serving Midway Station.

This is a great idea to extend the Orange line. Pace will save thousands in operating costs by not getting stuck in traffic along Cicero and provide a new terminal to operate from. Let the 54B run local service. On most days the tranfer to the Orange line is faster than sitting stuck in traffic on the Cicero bridge.

Unfortanately, the cost of this project may not justify the extension. If given a choice, Red line has greater benefits over Orange. And forget about the Yellow that project should be DOA.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...