4000 series cars

I recently made a purchase of some really awesome Japanese N scale subway car kits from Green Max of Japan. Now these cars have an incredibly striking similarity to the CTA 4000 series "Baldies" cars. These cars have almost the exact body style except for an extra window on each car body side, end and center doors, front ends and plain roofs. I purchased four kits which contain two sets of car bodies in each kit, no trucks, so It will allow me to build eight cars. There was a motor chassis available for purchase to power one of the cars plus the truck sets which also resemble the trucks on the 4000s. So I have everything I need to build a fleet of "Japanese style" CTA 4000s.:) Since I am a member of NW N-Trak club, these cars I would certainly love to showoff at a future train show. I plan to build and paint them into the "Baldies". All I need is to find the exact CTA green paint the cars wore so I can airbrush them. Im thinking it was a mint green/cream color scheme but Im not sure. Ive looked at pics of the 4000s on Chicago L.Org but it dosent specify the exact green. Any help??? Thanks! :) Heres a pic of the cars.... I dont plan to install any pantographs as shown in the pics. I plan to keep the roofs smooth just like the CTA cars. Since they are kits, you can build them with either two different style front ends and you can see the cars have extra windows, the length of the car bodies are a bit longer but I think overall not a bad resemblance to the Baldies. These cars are known as Tokyu cars, the name of the manufacturer, this is actually the same builder of the Cleveland RTA #100/300 series Red Line cars!

post-158-13272124299477_thumb.jpg

If it weren't for the outer windows, you could get away with the 1915 era 4000s, which had the center doors, as opposed to the 1924 era ones, that didn't.

As far as colors, go to chicago-l.org 4000s gallery. (You probably have to right click and copy and paste the url, since, as Kevin has pointed out, it doesn't accept referred links). The one at the top, and the 4146 one look about right.

< I recently made a purchase of some really awesome Japanese N scale subway car kits from Green Max of Japan. >

Where did you get them ? The guy who is Mokei Imports used to fill up his empty suitcase in Japan and bring them back. I think he retired now. All I see on E-bay are Kato ?

I like the GM power chassis. I have made a LIRR MP54 out of one. Bought lots of passenger car trucks. I also turned a Kato subway car body into a NYCT R27. Change the roof, the ends, and shorten the door windows.

If it weren't for the outer windows, you could get away with the 1915 era 4000s, which had the center doors, as opposed to the 1924 era ones, that didn't.

As far as colors, go to chicago-l.org 4000s gallery. (You probably have to right click and copy and paste the url, since, as Kevin has pointed out, it doesn't accept referred links). The one at the top, and the 4146 one look about right.

Thanks BusJack! Aside from the 6000s, I have such an interest in the 1914era 4000s. I cant wait for #4146 to be ready one day at IRM so I can get a chance to ride it. Youre right, aside from the extra windows and length. But I think its worth a try. Once I get the first car body assembled and painted I will post here for everyone to see.

< I recently made a purchase of some really awesome Japanese N scale subway car kits from Green Max of Japan. >

Where did you get them ? The guy who is Mokei Imports used to fill up his empty suitcase in Japan and bring them back. I think he retired now. All I see on E-bay are Kato ?

I like the GM power chassis. I have made a LIRR MP54 out of one. Bought lots of passenger car trucks. I also turned a Kato subway car body into a NYCT R27. Change the roof, the ends, and shorten the door windows.

I made the purchase off a Japanese Hobby site called "Hobby-Search" They sell an array of Japanese trains from different manufacturers. Kato, Tomix, Microace, GreenMax/GM and a few other companies. GM makes a good selection of power chassis also Tomytec which is part of Tomix. I have a set of ten N scale NYC R32s from IHP. I found the correct size power chassis by Tomytec. Im excited to get that project going one day.

So do you have rapid transit on a layout? That would be neat!

While one could use flextrack for the tight curves, Minitrix had some snap-track style pieces years ago that were a very tight radius. They even made tight radius switches.

Now I got an idea for my N scale layout!

Im currently in the planning stages of building my layout. Im almost finished on the 15X9 room where it will go. I do have lots of plans and ideas for rapid transit, no doubt! Living in Chicago, how could you not model rapid transit??? :) Everyone loves to model freight and passenger which is great! But I dont see too many railroaders model rapid transit. The trains are not hard to find either! When I run with NW N Trak at shows, I only bring my rapid transit cars, I dont bring any freight or passenger because everyone else there already runs them. So Id like to be a little different, plus I have been getting some excellent feedback from show spectators when they see my trains. They want to know if its CTA, NY subway or they just want to know where I got these trains. My biggest plan is to model where my affection for trains began back in the 1970s. I lived near the Armitage L stop on the N/S line. I always loved that four track operation which was unique on our system. No other CTA lines could match the frequency of the North/South rapid transit line. Using the names I remember them by, Ravenswood, Evanston Express,Evanston/Wilmette Exp., Howard/Englewood/Jackson Park. I still remember when the 6000s were the kings! they still are! ;) Even before the 2600s came online. Im hoping to model the subway portal. I always loved watching the 6000s rising or descending into or out of the subway. Riding the 6000s to Sox Park when I was a kid we had to ride to Fullerton and then of course backtrack on the Howard SB to 35th. I want to use ideas from the Cleveland Red Line, the South Shore Line and a few others. And with these subway car kits from Japan that Im currently awaiting delivery, I plan to paint them into the 4000s paint scheme, there are many things I have planned that I would like to model on my layout.

• 4 weeks later...