mikeymc77

• 4 weeks later...

Cta just did a scrap run. They actually drive the busese to the scrap in indiana . I saw 6226. And 6180 at roosevelt and state. I was gonna take pics and post them but I've. Just got out of a forum dispute. So I decided to back down from posting but when you. Saw 6043 did you a sticker in the window that said. "Transport" or "DISCARD UNIT" in the window?

Yesterday we took the CFD New Flyer (#5826)to South Shops for fueling and a wash. We drove past the boneyard, many of the Nabi artics are still there and a huge collection of #6000 Flxibles. I also saw some junked GMC fishbowls and Flx New Look #131. I saw a handful of 6000s stored inside the 77th st Garage. They looked to be in good shape, I guess those were spares. The NF #5900 Ballard buses are still there and I saw a NABI artic. The trailer section was gone, it was only the front section. I believe that was the bus that had the structural failure. Some pretty interesting views there. And later when we got back to the fire academy, a nice surprise! The cast of the new tv series "Chicago Fire" arrived to practice some of what we do. I was able to meet the actors. It was fun and exciting!

I also saw .. Flx New Look #131.

I guess after hanging around for at least 15 and probably 25 years, it won't become a museum piece. B)

...and I saw the front section of a NABI artic. The trailer section was gone, it was only the front section. I believe that was the bus that had the structural failure.

NABI said that the bus claimed to have had the structural failure was 7542. There is also the possibility that the bus you saw underwent destructive inspection as part of the lawsuit discovery process.

Guest DevalDragon

They drain all of the fluids and cut the brake lines of buses going to scrap - I highly doubt they drive them afterwards.

Cta just did a scrap run. They actually drive the busese to the scrap in indiana . I saw 6226. And 6180 at roosevelt and state. I was gonna take pics and post them but I've. Just got out of a forum dispute. So I decided to back down from posting but when you. Saw 6043 did you a sticker in the window that said. "Transport" or "DISCARD UNIT" in the window?

• Upvote 1

That used to be done,but now they transport them to the scrap yard. Well that's word they tellin us at Kedzie .

Are they actually transporting them from Kedzie to the scrapyard, or just to 77th?

The spec says that they will be made available at the CTA storeroom 30 at 7801 S. Vincennes, and the purchaser has to remove them from there. Also, the batteries, antifreeze, and fuel will be removed, and the purchaser must supply the necessary vehicle and equipment to haul them away.

And while I haven't been to 77th lately, the usual practice has been to paint on them "scrap" and "defueled."

So, unless your friends at Kedzie are actually at 77th seeing something different, either it has to be done as indicated above, or they should report to the Inspector General that the the contract is being breached.

Are they actually transporting them from Kedzie to the scrapyard, or just to 77th?

The spec says that they will be made available at the CTA storeroom 30 at 7801 S. Vincennes, and the purchaser has to remove them from there. Also, the batteries, antifreeze, and fuel will be removed, and the purchaser must supply the necessary vehicle and equipment to haul them away.

And while I haven't been to 77th lately, the usual practice has been to paint on them "scrap" and "defueled."

So, unless your friends at Kedzie are actually at 77th seeing something different, either it has to be done as indicated above, or they should report to the Inspector General that the the contract is being breached.

Well we just moved 6126 to 77th . I remember getting the assignment of sweeping it out the last time . It was a. Possibilty of it being a work bus but that was killed, so it was labeled for transport to 77th . As for the. Brake and battery issue, I don't. Think cta does that cause (I'm not. Trying to snitch) at 103rd the Nabis can still move,well the 3 I saw last week. But I'm just a sweeper/janitor so its none of my business to question the operations out of the garages and I dont want to cause another forum dispute but we both right and I'm. Only going off what I saw and heard

• 2 months later...

an even more interesting thing about this bus, went by the scrapyard and seen 6043 parked among the wrecks with the words "police investigation. do not touch" written on the back. ona side note nova 6531 looks like its about to be scrapped. it has glass as well as the headlights missing and the words "no brakes" scrawled on it

an even more interesting thing about this bus, went by the scrapyard and seen 6043 parked among the wrecks with the words "police investigation. do not touch" written on the back.

That's interesting. Anyone know if it was in a wreck or the like?*

*I mention that because pace2322 said at least one bus was held by Pace because it was.

• 1 year later...

Remember #6043, the #152 that ran over the cyclist getting her bike off the rack. That bus I believe never went back into service at FG and I don't remember if it ever went back in service again, because they were getting close to retirement then. That bus was stuck in legal limbo. (The news footage of that is on my youtube videos link below if anyone needs a refresher course on that.)

Looks like I finally figured this mystery out. Though it took some time :P

• Upvote 1