Route #149 Stateliner.

jesi2282

Yes. What are you doing, searching the web for anything strange?

Seriously, it went from the Merchandise Mart to Soldier Field, but most of it (south of State and Lake) was incorporated into 146.

Before the fishbowls, it was Michigan-State-Wacker, but they put the light green "Stateliner" signs on top of the 1300s (roughly 1341-1349 were dedicated to the route); then it became the name of the route. Also those were the first buses to have touch-bar doors (now known as La puerta de "EZ Out").

I am not sure exactly what you mean when you say the sign is down. There is a yellow "Stateliner" sign on the top of the bus in the pic.

I would think the real interesting thing in the pic, though, is the old safety zones in the middle of State Street. Note that the bus is in the center of the street and not along the curb. This is probably one of the last years the old safety zones were used, and could be one of the last pictures where one is visable. Also note the (probably) 3500 or 3600 series Flxible (assuming it is an Archer garage bus) going by south on State Street.

I stand corrected. It really blends into the building in the back, but if you stare enough at it, you can see it. It also may be lime, or may have faded.

Also, since the Flxible is in the middle lane, it could have been something from 52 (like a 2 Hyde Park or 5A Jeffery Express) or a 36A State (or even a 36 Broadway). While the side windows of an 8600 were different, I think the back was the same.

My main memory of the safety island was that is was not such a pleasant place to wait for a 2 or 5A during a snow storm.