Interesting Fleet/Unit Numbers

I thought maybe this could be a fun topic:

Pace does not end any unit number in '13', presumably for superstitious reasons. On the other hand, North Division has a bus number 6661, and someone posted a WebWatch image of 6664 from North Shore, that showed that bus in Lake Michigan!

Funny that they won't end a unit number in 13, but will allow them to begin with 666!

I remember reading some years back about how Casey Jones's locomotive he rode to his death on, number 382, was rebuilt and ended up in a few more wrecks before finally being scrapped. Almost seemed to have a curse on it! I also read that a locomotive number '9' is considered unlucky.

I wonder what other transit agencies out there have supersitious quirks in their numbering, or retire certain numbers for obscure reasons?

Like I said, hope this becomes a fun topic!

I thought maybe this could be a fun topic:

Pace does not end any unit number in '13', presumably for superstitious reasons. On the other hand, North Division has a bus number 6661, and someone posted a WebWatch image of 6664 from North Shore, that showed that bus in Lake Michigan!

Funny that they won't end a unit number in 13, but will allow them to begin with 666!

I remember reading some years back about how Casey Jones's locomotive he rode to his death on, number 382, was rebuilt and ended up in a few more wrecks before finally being scrapped. Almost seemed to have a curse on it! I also read that a locomotive number '9' is considered unlucky.

I wonder what other transit agencies out there have supersitious quirks in their numbering, or retire certain numbers for obscure reasons?

Like I said, hope this becomes a fun topic!

Throw in bus 6666, even though Bill V. says that route 666 was changed to 668.

I thought I read somewhere that 8713 was wrecked, and he says "Bus number 8713 was the last Pace bus to be numbered with 13 as the last digits. Pace has since stopped numbering new buses with 13 as the last digits, presumably for superstitious reasons." But if that's the rationale, a lot of other numbers are unlucky

Anyway, I couldn't figure out why the Tribune said about 1990 that Pace was buying 106 new buses when the fleet numbers indicated 107, until the x13 came up.

That's interesting. When I rode the system everyday, allday, some cta vehicles like 7571, 7641, 7672 seemed to spend more time in the shops than in service. Living south didn't afford me the opportunity of seeing Chicago, Forest Glen or North Park buses enough to learn what "lemons" may have been assigned.

Railcar 6247 developed major rust on the roof over the conductor's window in the early 80s which was never repaired.

On the other hand, how do buses like 2278 and 2325 get such long lives?

On the other hand, how do buses like 2278 and 2325 get such long lives?

I think it is more of a function of Pace doesn't retire as many buses as we think it will after getting a new bunch.

If you want to get older, there are still the 8900s hanging around Ravinia and McHenry. But, those don't get much use.

Bringing up route 666 reminded me that when I told someone "Pace doesn't have buses ending with 13," she said 213, referring to the route. Can add 313 and 413.

I also used Pace destination signs to explain to her the difference between name and href attributes in a HTML tags, but that's a story for another day.

cptdb also indicates that paratransit 5013 became 5085 and 5513 became 5590.They also have that 8213 was hit and scrapped.

• 3 weeks later...

Mentioned it on Pace's Facebook page recently; Seems that they really ought to not have a bus 6661. The headsign system used has a four digit code. First three are the route, the fourth indicates direction and terminus. For example, 5650 is outbound 565 Grand Ave. route, terminating at Gurnee Mills. 5651 is inbound 565 Grand Ave. route, terminating inbound at downtown Waukegan. Pretty much any inbound terminating at the designated end of the line, generally Washington/Sheridan, except for a few routes such as the 569 and a few others, the last digit on the headsign is 1.

Therefore, one can read unit number 6661 as inbound to Hell. I suppose 6660 (Not a North bus, though), would then be outbound from Hell (So it should be a North bus - someone told me recently "Go to Hell", I responeded "I already do live in Waukegan!"). Just a thought.

Mentioned it on Pace's Facebook page recently; Seems that they really ought to not have a bus 6661. The headsign system used has a four digit code. First three are the route, the fourth indicates direction and terminus. For example, 5650 is outbound 565 Grand Ave. route, terminating at Gurnee Mills. 5651 is inbound 565 Grand Ave. route, terminating inbound at downtown Waukegan. Pretty much any inbound terminating at the designated end of the line, generally Washington/Sheridan, except for a few routes such as the 569 and a few others, the last digit on the headsign is 1.

Therefore, one can read unit number 6661 as inbound to Hell. I suppose 6660 (Not a North bus, though), would then be outbound from Hell (So it should be a North bus - someone told me recently "Go to Hell", I responeded "I already do live in Waukegan!"). Just a thought.

Apparently Hinsdale was Hell, but the route number was changed before the IBS. Maybe the RTA will give Pace permission to serve Hell, Michigan.