History Of The 103rd Garage

cta6085

103rd replaced Beverly. One thing I do remember about the garage being built is that it took way too long to complete, part being because the contractor was using substandard materials. I also want to say that there was something wrong, enviornmentally, with the land. Busjack, I am sure, can detail exactly what went wrong, and how long this delay was. But I want to say that it was close to a year late (at least) in opening because of this.

I'am a Bus Repairman who works at 103rd garage. I have been working there since the 1st day it opened in June of 1988. I acrually cant remember the whole history of the begining of the plans for it. I started work for CTA in Jan. of 1986 and worked at the old 69th Street Garage. I was then working at North Park garage when the construction of 103rd began. I couldnt wait for it to be done since I live so close to it. I remember the original contractors did not complete the job. When the garage did open, the contractor that finished the job was coming around to keepan eye on things. I think as part of the deal, he had to stick around for 1 year after completion. I remember him telling me a little about the garage. Each "post" (column) in the garage is actually 50 feet below grade. He said they dug up so many old trees, 55 gallon drums of who knows what, and all kind of junk. (Remember it was a landfill way back when ). I remember the terrible smell that came from across the street since the City Garbage Dump was right there. The city since moved the dumps from 103rd and now it is much better. You would never know there was a dump there before. On another note...... when the garage first opened up it was very common to see Possum, Racoons, and Rats walk through the garage like it was nothing. It used to be "their land" before the garage was there and they would walk right in the garage like they owned the place. It's been a long time since any wildlife has been around to visit us now.

Were There Any Bus Transfers On March 1,2003?

I cant exactly remember. We originally had the 5300's when they were new in 91. In 2000 they were sent to 77th garage, then in 03 I believe we started getting them back. For the last 2 years we been getting different busses. 5400's, 5500's, different TMC's, 6000's. We constantly have different buses showing up. That has been going on since about 2000.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cant exactly remember. We originally had the 5300's when they were new in 91. In 2000 they were sent to 77th garage, then in 03 I believe we started getting them back. For the last 2 years we been getting different busses. 5400's, 5500's, different TMC's, 6000's. We constantly have different buses showing up. That has been going on since about 2000.    

Were There Any Mismatched Buses From 74th?

I'am a Bus Repairman who works at 103rd garage. I have been working there since the 1st day it opened in June of 1988. I acrually cant remember the whole history of the begining of the plans for it. I started work for CTA in Jan. of 1986 and worked at the old 69th Street Garage. I was then working at North Park garage when the construction of 103rd began. I couldnt wait for it to be done since I live so close to it. I remember the original contractors did not complete the job. When the garage did open, the contractor that finished the job was coming around to keepan eye on things. I think as part of the deal, he had to stick around for 1 year after completion. I remember him telling me a little about the garage. Each "post" (column) in the garage is actually 50 feet below grade. He said they dug up so many old trees, 55 gallon drums of who knows what, and all kind of junk. (Remember it was a landfill way back when ). I remember the terrible smell that came from across the street since the City Garbage Dump was right there. The city since moved the dumps from 103rd and now it is much better. You would never know there was a dump there before. On another note...... when the garage first opened up it was very common to see Possum, Racoons, and Rats walk through the garage like it was nothing. It used to be "their land" before the garage was there and they would walk right in the garage like they owned the place. It's been a long time since any wildlife has been around to visit us now.

When It Was First Planned In 1984 Or 1985 They Decided To Build A Bus Turnaround For The 6 Jeffery Express,14 South Lake Shore Drive Express And The 28 Stony Island