How to Improve the Subway

While this isn't Chicago Specific, it should be known that people in NYC have ideas on how to improve their subway. Of course, we already have some of the ideas established in our system (and I do believe a few already exist in theirs).

Check this out.

• Your are right that parallel signage, LED lights, security cameras, train positions, RFID reader, and wheelchair gap fillers are already on CTA or coming soon. Gym style flooring probably already is, too.
  • The vestibules and door lock suggestions are contradictory. In that CTA keeps swapping cars in consists, I don't see how vestibules work.
  • I don't know if I would trust a subway charging system to protect a USB device.
  • The suction garbage system sounds interesting, but apparently one would need pneumatic tubes throughout the city. Craig Ferguson would ask if it has the proper amount of suction.
  • Protective barriers at platform edge: I always wonder why other than Disney World didn't have them.
  • Digital smell detectors: Don't New Yorkers have noses? Or do they really need an LED sign saying "this car stinks?"
  • As far as the bathroom stuff, my impression is that any bathroom on the CTA is now closed.

Two other general observations:

• The various suggestions about maps and express signs reflect that the NYC system is much more complicated than the CTA. For instance, the only places with multiple lines in Chicago are the Loop and North Main (and Roosevelt Green and Orange and the Pink/Green overlap).
  • The "CTA already has this" items, combined with stuff that New York is only experimenting with Trackers indicate that in some ways, CTA is ahead. I'm surprised that in some ways NY is that far behind.