Sunday's Budd Charter Photos

chicagopcclcar

Even my sources sometimes lead me astray, but's that all a part of the game but believe me, I'm gonna tell him that "Harlem" to me is not "Forest Park." Technically, yes the line offices, the shops, the storage yard IS across the border. And traffic Sunday was horrendus...no Kennedy, no Eisenhower, no south Loop thanks to that movie, so by the time I catch up, we're at 59th St. Junction, my favorite 'L' railfan spot. So on with the tour.

Our six cars are southbound, approaching the home signal at 59th St. Junction. All the decorations from the CTA in-service finale are still on the cars. 59th is manually controlled during the reroute for the Ryan construction. The alternate flip-flop automatic operation would be useless given the ratio of Red to Green line trains, about three to one. Clearly seen is the reason for the line's century old nickname, "The Alley L". Although to be entirely correct, the name should include "Next To...". An amazing fact is that the line from 39th St. to 63rd St. and then east for almost 2 miles was built in about ten months.

P1110377.jpg

The extra-curricula charter turns right, onto the Englewood branch. The difference between the style and design of the steel structure is clearly shown although both designs were deemed fit during the Green line rehab in the late 90's and neither was replaced. By the time the Englewood branch was completed, three flats were the most numerous building type. When the Alley 'L' pushed through here 14 years earlier, the entire stretch south of 44th St. was vacant and empty.

2c55dfda-024a-4591-a2fd-4288e8b259e6.jpg

The charter heads in to the layup track at Midway terminal for a quick change of ends and no potty break. A special sign made especially for the charter hangs from the chains.

P1110388.jpg

Today this portion is known as the southside connector but when built in 1892, this stretch was the only structure directly over the alley....although the alleyway had a name. Property was too expensive for the 'L' company to buy the back 20 feet of lots so the property owners signed petitions allowing the 'L' to use the public thoroughfare.

P1110394.jpg

After picking up its customers, the charter heads to Tower 18 for a normal Brown line lineup. This weekend, Brown line trains however were operating on the Inner Loop , running clockwise, on a Purple routing. While the charter went north, I returned to Midway to get my car for some more chasing.

P1110409.jpg

Returning from a trip to Santa's favorite L Station.....Linden/Wilmette, the charter rounds the Hubbard Street "S" curves southbound. These curves were relieved by the old Chicago Rapid Transit company sometimes back in the 30s or maybe even earlier to match the completion of the four-track elevation between Wilson and Howard.

P1110413.jpg

P1110416.jpg

The charter crosses the span over the South Branch and then over the approach tracks to Union Station in a view that has maybe a year left as a proposal for a tall building on this property's air rights has been made.

P1110423.jpg

By 1910, building steel elevated structure was finished and new extensions of the 'L' were on the surface. This crossing on today's Pink line is the last one in the city before the tracks cross the border and enter Cicero, IL. Before the crayon colors this was the Douglas Park branch.

P1110431-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Since someone who enjoys violating the community guidelines is going to put a derogatory title on this, I sure hope that the charterers paid full freight for this, and are not expecting the taxpayers to pay for some retired employees' joyrides for the indefinite future.

You don't think your signature for the last three months was "derogatory and a violation of community guidelines"...I sure do.

Wow, chicagopcclcar, you sure know where all of the good views of the L are! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Thanks. It comes from working the system, plus decades of video production and putting out a series on tape and DVD and current work with charters. Most of my current work just used locations and I neglected the sun-angle factor. If I were shooting for RailPic for example, most of the shots would not have made the cut. Add to the sun angle, they object to any obstructions and you'd be amazed how much junk the CTA has in front of their trains including signals, signs, cables, walkways, relay houses, etc, etc. You think that a shot looking north from a chosen location would work and when you go there, you find two BIG signal relay houses and a container blocking the clear view. This was the hardest shot I ever got on to Rail Pic....sun-angles and overcoming equipment in shadows. I took it on the summer solstice.

LoopTower12.jpg

Let me start by saying that Dave posted some very nice photos. Thanks for sharing them

Next, this charter being discussed was my charter. It was a private charter for my close friends, fellow workers and myself who wanted one more ride on the 2200s thru out the city in a stress free enviroment. More often than not, on public trips / charters, one has to deal with constant noise, arrogant people and simply folks trying to run you over to get a picture that 50 other people are trying to get. Seeing the video and photos from the last cta run of these cars, that fact was evident.

Plus on this site you see the constant fight amongst people and for what guys? Its nothing more than a train. 6000s, 2200s, SD70Ms... Who cares! Use this site for what it should be, discussion and information.

This is why my charters are small and why these fine folks pay 100 bucks plus just to ride around in peace and quiet. At the end of Sunday, we all felt a little sad that the era of the 2200s had drawn to a close, but we all left with a smile as we all had a GREAT time.

Eric

• Upvote 8

Thanks. It comes from working the system, plus decades of video production and putting out a series on tape and DVD and current work with charters. Most of my current work just used locations and I neglected the sun-angle factor. If I were shooting for RailPic for example, most of the shots would not have made the cut...

Interesting. I never actually thought about that. I usually don't take much into consideration when filming or getting a photo of the L (Except getting the train in the video or photo obviously :D ). As a result, my videos are on the ever-accepting Youtube. I also don't edit, so all of my videos (CTA, IRM Snowflake Special, Seattle Transit, etc.) are the raw videos, except for when I put two or more videos together.

Next, this charter being discussed was my charter. It was a private charter for my close friends, fellow workers and myself who wanted one more ride on the 2200s thru out the city in a stress free enviroment. More often than not, on public trips / charters, one has to deal with constant noise, arrogant people and simply folks trying to run you over to get a picture that 50 other people are trying to get. Seeing the video and photos from the last cta run of these cars, that fact was evident.

The Snowflake Special is getting more and more crowded. I don't blame you at all. It's good that you had to have fun on the 2200s.

Dave, tell Ron I said hello. I'm sure he is flattered by being asked and working your charters.

Hmmmm why would Chicagomotorman know and admire Ron...Oh yea, pinstripes uniform...northside terminals. I will ask for Ron too, but maybe Jorge wasn't available. And by the way, Sunday's charter was not one of mine. Read chicubs1983 post directly above...it's alrady rated at 5 plus and it's a "first post ever."