CTA bus trivia question #3

buslist

The trolley poles aren't connected to anything? Looks like the overhead wires are actually part of the utility pole, but the angle of photo makes them also look like trolley wires?

The picture is too low res to come to that conclusion, and if they weren't in contact with the trolley wires (and not in the retaining hooks) would be straight up.

I think it has to do with the grotto and the "South Terminal" sign, but the picture is too low res for me to make out the sign in the background, but apparently has to do with the bus being off its usual route assignment.

Also, since trolleybuses.net says that it is the last of the St. Louis ones, it probably is on a route that usually used Marmons (or something else). Going to the bottom of the site, that picture's caption said it was on Pulaski, which would have been a North Ave. route, but most of the St. Louis bus pictures are on FG routes.

The watermark was the clue.

Update: There is one picture of a new one on 51st, and several of the pictures around the one in question are noted "fantrip?"

The picture is too low res to come to that conclusion, and if they weren't in contact with the trolley wires (and not in the retaining hooks) would be straight up.

I think it has to do with the grotto and the "South Terminal" sign, but the picture is too low res for me to make out the sign in the background, but apparently has to do with the bus being off its usual route assignment.

Also, since trolleybuses.net says that it is the last of the St. Louis ones, it probably is on a route that usually used Marmons (or something else). Going to the bottom of the site, that picture's caption said it was on Pulaski, which would have been a North Ave. route, but most of the St. Louis bus pictures are on FG routes.

The watermark was the clue.

Update: There is one picture of a new one on 51st, and several of the pictures around the one in question are noted "fantrip?"

It's an OSA fan trip, this is the one where we got stopped by a supervisor, for being off schedule, when we told him it was a charter he wouldn't believe it "who's crazy enough to charter a trolley bus?" We had to show him the papers.

And yes skipping the watermark us older folks will recognize the location as the Olson Rug co's bit of wilderness at Pulaski and Diversy. ( jokingly called the Poor Man's Dells) Pulaski was always a Marmon route so the St,Louis is out of place.

• Upvote 1