CTA historical map used in "Divergent"

Mudba

Hello all

I wasn't sure if anyone has seen Divergent the movie, but I'm hoping someone has and knows the answer

The train cars has maps of the train service posted in each car. It looked like it was a map from sometime pre 80's

Anyone recognize the map?

To all,

It's not only pre-80's, it's pre-CTA.

Absent are the State St subway (opened 1943), the Dearborn-Milwaukee subway (opened 1951),

and the Skokie Swift (1964).

You can also see the old Metropolitan northwest side lines, discontinued when the Dearborn-Milwaukee

subway opened.

The old Garfield Park L is visible, closed mid-50's for construction of the Eisenhower Expressway.

Please feel free to share any other questions or comments.

Thanks,

Samana09

To all,

I found the answer to the date of this map.

It is an exact match with one I found on chicago-l.org, dated 1913,

under "route maps". That site says it was issued Novermber 3, 1913

to announce the start of universal transfers.

What caused me to look at dates that far back was I noticed

the Westchester branch was not built yet (early 1920's)

and there was no L service on North Shore's Skokie Valley route

between Howard and Dempster, which was not built until 1926.

Thanks,

Samana09

Either given that the movie is supposed to take place in a post-apocalyptic future version of Chicago, they'd want to something that has some elements of the system as it appears today but still is radically different enough to make you believe that CTA succeeded in expanding and evolving the system by the year that's represented in the movie. What better way to do that than to go to the past and choose a map that shows lines from the past that no longer exist. It stays true to moviegoers who are from Chicago and know the city's transit rail system and will undoubtedly will try to pick out rail lines that look familiar and has enough elements that are different to give the impression that that future form of CTA expanded the system over the years.