Just rode a Cottage Grove Green Line train to Halsted Orange Line station

blanham

I was taking the Green Line from Roosevelt to 35th tonight when suddenly the train came to a stop as we were passing through 17th street junction, and a moment later the motorman came running through the car toward the rear of the train. The train jerked backward for a second and then halted again, and soon after the motorman passed back on the way to the front. We started moving again, and it became obvious why we had stopped, as we were now ascending up the ramp to the Orange Line tracks. The motorman then came on the intercom to tell us we were stopping at Halsted Orange and that there would be a train waiting for us there, though in actuality the train that took us back to Roosevelt was already about 100 feet out of Halsted, and it had to reverse back into the station to pick us up.

I seem to recall reading that Orange Line trains have a transponder that sets the routing at 17th, so I'm not entirely sure how this happened. The train I was on was a set of 5000s, I think the lead car was somewhere in the 5030s.

I was taking the Green Line from Roosevelt to 35th tonight when suddenly the train came to a stop as we were passing through 17th street junction, and a moment later the motorman came running through the car toward the rear of the train. The train jerked backward for a second and then halted again, and soon after the motorman passed back on the way to the front. We started moving again, and it became obvious why we had stopped, as we were now ascending up the ramp to the Orange Line tracks. The motorman then came on the intercom to tell us we were stopping at Halsted Orange and that there would be a train waiting for us there, though in actuality the train that took us back to Roosevelt was already about 100 feet out of Halsted, and it had to reverse back into the station to pick us up.

I seem to recall reading that Orange Line trains have a transponder that sets the routing at 17th, so I'm not entirely sure how this happened. The train I was on was a set of 5000s, I think the lead car was somewhere in the 5030s.

I recommend you posting this in the "Random CTA" Topic.