Numerology sweepstakes

Busjack

Now that we know that the next series of L cars will be 5000s (I believe nobody predicted that), what are your bets on the following (I get the house advantage or vigorish):

• Optima buses (my bet is on 7800 or 7801, to put the Compobuses to rest, but I'll also put action on 7000 or 8000).
  • The hybrids being in the same series as the 1000s (the fuel cell buses were 5900s, not 5800s, but that was probably before some of your times)
  • The airport express cars, if ordered, being in the same series as the other Bombardier cars
  • Pace EZ Riders

Also, L car series start with xx01, while bus series start with xx00. Thus 2600 is a 2400 series car, and 3200 is a 2600 series car. Apparently this tradition will continue with 5001. However, we have bus numbers such as 4400, 6000, 6400, etc. Anyone know the reason for this difference?

However, we have bus numbers such as 4400, 6000, 6400, etc. Anyone know the reason for this difference?

Not really sure if I have a definate answer for you here, Busjack.  But when the CTA gets a new order of buses, they like to start them as xx00(as you previously mentioned).  So, for example... If the 6000 Series Flxibles stopped at 6329 and we started the NOVAs at 6330, that would disrupt the CTA bus numbering system of starting bus numbers with two zeros at the end.

I understand the new series (although Pace doesn't follow that pattern), but not why the first bus of the new series wasn't 6401. Or, conversely, why the first new L car won't be 5000, unless it goes back to when the original 5000s were ordered; some books on the history of the L mention an experimental mock-up numbered 5000.