Former #4000 Series "L" Car For Sale

BusHunter

And on this Christmas day, what wouldn't be more perfect than your own "L" car? (Reduced ;):P )

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/detail.asp?id=661&n=Chicago-Transit-Authority-4449-REDUCED

Link to the gallery: (if it works, if not just click the view gallery tab on the first link)

http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/821953

And on this Christmas day, what wouldn't be more perfect than your own "L" car? (Reduced ;):P )

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/detail.asp?id=661&n=Chicago-Transit-Authority-4449-REDUCED

Link to the gallery: (if it works, if not just click the view gallery tab on the first link)

http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/821953

Geez, it's rusty. You think they will give a redecoration allowance?

Not speaking for IRM - I'm not a working volunteer -- There are 5 4000 series cars all in seemingly better condition than the car advertised. Perhaps this could be a parts source but the pictures look like the car is pretty dilapidated. Better IRM should spend volunteer time and $$ on cars already at Union.

IRM has done a fantastic job of preserving Chicago rapid transit history with its limited resources. The recent adds of 2000, 2200, and 2400 series cars, exemplifies their commitment to preserving Chicago history. I would think that the advertised car would become another car stored outside that becomes more decrepit with time. 5 4000's is probably all that is warranted considering the collection. Best to spend time restoring the 1024 (24) (see the Hicks blog) than get a new 4000 that would require a huge amount of work to even stabilize. You can't and shouldn't save everything!

Bob

Not speaking for IRM - I'm not a working volunteer -- There are 5 4000 series cars all in seemingly better condition than the car advertised.....

I'm sure the rotten roof doesn't help, either.

Going back to Ozark's equipment for sale page, there is all kind of stuff that meets IRM's broader mission, including mainline railroads, such as the AT&SF cafeteria car, but it also looks like most of what they are offering is for big bucks.

BTW, the search page indicates that this is reduced from $10,000 to $7,000.

I'm sure the rotten roof doesn't help, either.

Going back to Ozark's equipment for sale page, there is all kind of stuff that meets IRM's broader mission, including mainline railroads, such as the AT&SF cafeteria car, but it also looks like most of what they are offering is for big bucks.

BTW, the search page indicates that this is reduced from $10,000 to $7,000.

Yeah I was surprised to see they had a car for almost 200K. I'd hate to see what they would charge for a completely restored Pullman car. Some of those can be pretty extravagant. This is obviously down to the levels CTA would sell scrap for, but it's not a scrap sale officially. Maybe someone can get something out of it.

Not speaking for IRM - I'm not a working volunteer -- There are 5 4000 series cars all in seemingly better condition than the car advertised. Perhaps this could be a parts source but the pictures look like the car is pretty dilapidated. Better IRM should spend volunteer time and $$ on cars already at Union.

IRM has done a fantastic job of preserving Chicago rapid transit history with its limited resources. The recent adds of 2000, 2200, and 2400 series cars, exemplifies their commitment to preserving Chicago history. I would think that the advertised car would become another car stored outside that becomes more decrepit with time. 5 4000's is probably all that is warranted considering the collection. Best to spend time restoring the 1024 (24) (see the Hicks blog) than get a new 4000 that would require a huge amount of work to even stabilize. You can't and shouldn't save everything!

Bob

I wish someone could find a #4000 "baldie" to go with #4146 at IRM. I love the "baldies".