Crowdsourcing idea - Track maps/speed limits/signals

briman94

Hey guys,

As I'm sure a few of you know, I'm working on recreating the CTA in Train Simulator. A big part of this is getting the track layout accurate in respect to crossovers, signals, and speed limits (and possibly elevation in the future). Chicago-L.org is great for the general station order and most crossovers, but the maps are 13 years old now and many crossovers are incorrect and stations are missing. For example, the crossover just west of Clinton/Lake is shown only crossing over from the south tack to the north going westbound, but a recent Google Maps photo shows that there is also a crossover going from north to south westbound. Morgan/Lake is obviously completely off the map as it was built only a couple years ago and the Pink Line didn't exist so the Paulina Connector is completely undocumented. The maps also do not show speed limits or signal locations which makes it difficult to determine where to place them in the game.

I was just thinking, however, that it would be cool (and possibly even fun) if we somehow organized a crowdsourced project to update the maps for chicago-l.org, at least regarding stations and crossovers if not also speed limits and signals. Would anybody be interested in helping? It would basically involve just paying attention when you're on a less-crowded train and looking out the front window to document where marked speed limit signs and signals are as well as crossovers. Missing stations are way easier - just look at the official CTA maps.

Hey guys,

As I'm sure a few of you know, I'm working on recreating the CTA in Train Simulator. A big part of this is getting the track layout accurate in respect to crossovers, signals, and speed limits (and possibly elevation in the future). Chicago-L.org is great for the general station order and most crossovers, but the maps are 13 years old now and many crossovers are incorrect and stations are missing. For example, the crossover just west of Clinton/Lake is shown only crossing over from the south tack to the north going westbound, but a recent Google Maps photo shows that there is also a crossover going from north to south westbound. Morgan/Lake is obviously completely off the map as it was built only a couple years ago and the Pink Line didn't exist so the Paulina Connector is completely undocumented. The maps also do not show speed limits or signal locations which makes it difficult to determine where to place them in the game.

I was just thinking, however, that it would be cool (and possibly even fun) if we somehow organized a crowdsourced project to update the maps for chicago-l.org, at least regarding stations and crossovers if not also speed limits and signals. Would anybody be interested in helping? It would basically involve just paying attention when you're on a less-crowded train and looking out the front window to document where marked speed limit signs and signals are as well as crossovers. Missing stations are way easier - just look at the official CTA maps.

If you are looking for help on either the Orange Line or the Red Line (Howard Branch) you can look at my YouTube channel. I have CTA videos from the cab window from Midway-around the Loop-Midway and on the Red Line from Jackson on North to Howard. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrunswickBowler

Let me know if my videos work! I'm glad to help out! :D

I was just thinking, however, that it would be cool (and possibly even fun) if we somehow organized a crowdsourced project to update the maps for chicago-l.org, at least regarding stations and crossovers...

The problem with trying to modify someone else's website is that unless the administrator thinks you are authoritative, he is not going to respond.I had experience with Bill V. not leading to anything, but with chicago-l.org you have the additional problems of dealing with a CTA employee who probably relies on CTA sources. If CTA doesn't want to publish a new track map, for any reason, it is not going to appear there.

Now, if you want to set up your own website, that's another question, although as a general principle, I'm not interested in crowd sourcing, unless it is for something profitable enough to get on Shark Tank.

Also, as TheBrunswiickBowler implies, CTA has published YouTubes of all lines from the operator's perspective.

Hey guys,

What lines do you need the maps for? All of them?

What lines do you need the maps for? All of them?

Pretty much. I've been exploring where I can to get more data but I figured if people regularly travel on other lines, they might be willing to contribute what they can to this project so we can get an updated map of the whole system eventually, even if it's not being put on chicago-l.org

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much. I've been exploring where I can to get more data but I figured if people regularly travel on other lines, they might be willing to contribute what they can to this project so we can get an updated map of the whole system eventually, even if it's not being put on chicago-l.org

Compared to the map, all of the single switches on the Forest Park branch are now full crossovers, Jefferson Park lost its interlocking at Milwaukee, there's another track at Tower 18 for the Pink Line to leave the Loop, the switch on the Yellow Line around Oakton-Skokie is moved or completely removed, side platforms on the Pink Line are island platforms, the Lakewood switch on the Brown Line east of Southport may now be a full crossover, and many switches on the North Side Main are probably crossovers now.

Generally, all signals are located only at crossovers and switches, except in the Dearborn subway, where they have several signals along the tracks at the downtown stations. I'm not sure about the State St. Subway.

Those are the changes I know of, but the CTA videos will probably help you more. :)

Unless you want to model the CTA yards, this is perfect! I've been studying the map just for the heck of it too.

The yards are pretty clear on Google Maps because they aren't really surrounded by buildings. The rest of the track is frequently in shadow and map seams sometimes make gaps in them so it's harder with the main track.