Paratransit contract changes--unemployment?

Busjack

I checked out the North Cook paratransit situation. As I previously noted, the contract awards page said that it went to MV. I checked out the MV location in Niles and both Pace equipment and their equipment were in the lot, including the Arlington Heights-Rolling Meadows C&R bus. First Transit has removed any indication of its operations in Glenview.

Also, it appears that there are new operators in Du Page and Kane.

The question is--since service seems unaffected--what happens to the drivers? Are they automatically offered jobs by the new contractor, have to apply for those jobs but get some preference, go to other First operations, or are on the unemployment lines?

I guess it depends on how the companies are structured.   If the company has multiple contracts, then drivers can be reassigned.  That still could lead to layoffs, but it could be a softer blow.   If it is a situation where transfer isn't possible  then those who stand to lose their jobs will apply at the company with the new contract.   

My experience with a contractor went like this.   When we lost a contract,  drivers  were offered severance pay.  Those who didn't take it could be called back according to seniority.   For that company,  the new contractors failed to live up to their contracts and we were reinstated to finish out those contracts.   Somega old drivers were called back,  others were new hires.

It should be noted that if it is a union shop, those situations should be spelled out in the driver contracts.