New Flyer delivering first automated bus

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Thus will be very interesting.   How will technology know when a passenger is at a bus stop waiting or attempting to flag down a bus near the bus stop?  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Thus will be very interesting.   How will technology know when a passenger is at a bus stop waiting or attempting to flag down a bus near the bus stop?  

Probably a beacon can do that. The best question is how will it keep fare evasion from happening? I suppose someone boarding would have to tap a card to board this way it knows who you are. It says it will have an assistant on board, so if it just drives it eliminates the cdl requirement of the employee and the assistant can be paid less. But what will happen to humanity if jobs continue to be.lost to automation. Will we all just sit around and vegetate? 

It's just an experiment in robotics and it's nothing more than science fiction. I dont really think anyone's job is in jeopardy just yet. It's like with uber you cant automate cause if you do the humans will take advantage of the computer. I see this happening better with long haul trucking because it has many hours of straight driving on a highway. A city pilot could easily rendezvous with a dropoff or pickup and assist if things would go wrong. Still it's not a checkout cashier and it takes mental thought to do this. Plus you open up the liability for all companies involved. So it remains to be seen if it will work. Hey I'm still waiting for robocop??? You have to admit it could solve alot of current day issues on both sides of the equation.