WOW !! GMC RTS ARTIC !!!!!!

11 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

CRAZY COOL !!! never knew these were ever made !! ?

According to GM ARCIVES on facebook only 12 of these RTS artic's prototype were ever made 

I'm sure CTA/NYC MTA and many other TA's would have SCOOPED these up in the 90's if they actually made it into production

image.thumb.png.b4348aaa99999d67ce0efe710b18b31d.png

Did GMC build these?  They were the first builders of the RTS followed by TMC and Novabus.  I think GMC was out of the bus manufacturer industry by the 90s.  The early 90s were TMC built RTS buses.

22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Did GMC build these?  They were the first builders of the RTS followed by TMC and Novabus.  I think GMC was out of the bus manufacturer industry by the 90s.  The early 90s were TMC built RTS buses.

The picture was early 80's. I read this was taken in 1981 so Look under the windshield in the picture to answer your question ;) 

TMC was the builder for CTA 1991 RTS 4400 series

Dave

32 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

The picture was early 80's. I read this was taken in 1981 so Look under the windshield in the picture to answer your question ;) 

TMC was the builder for CTA 1991 RTS 4400 series

Dave

I can't remember the year GMC stopped building buses.  I think they shut down U S. operations in 1983, but continued in Canada for a few more years.  Canadian TAs loved the fishbowls and hated the RTS.

The Rapid Transit Series (RTS) city bus is a long-running series of transit buses that was originally manufactured by GMC Truck and Coach Division in Pontiac, Michigan. The production continued there and the Production of the RTS transitioned from GM to Motor Coach Industries (MCI) (under its Transportation Manufacturing Corporation subsidiary in Roswell, New Mexico) in 1987, moved to NovaBus in 1994, and finally moved to Millenium Transit Services (MTS) in 2003. Production ceased with the closing of MTS in 2009.

1 hour ago, bigdave said:

The Rapid Transit Series (RTS) city bus is a long-running series of transit buses that was originally manufactured by GMC Truck and Coach Division in Pontiac, Michigan. The production continued there and the Production of the RTS transitioned from GM to Motor Coach Industries (MCI) (under its Transportation Manufacturing Corporation subsidiary in Roswell, New Mexico) in 1987, moved to NovaBus in 1994, and finally moved to Millenium Transit Services (MTS) in 2003. Production ceased with the closing of MTS in 2009.

There was a guy on thus forum once who was from MTS.  He was trying to promote an RTS low floor model bus.  O don't think MTS was successful in generating any interest. 

• 3 weeks later...