Skokie Shops

trainman8119

I know that Skokie has had a lot of upgrades in recent times, and the facility looks great. It has long been know as the main repair facility for L cars. But there is also some bus work being done there. What type of work do they do on buses there. 77th was always regarded as the big ticket repair facility. Is it a paint thing..interior rehab...major repairs...something special or what ??? Have they always done bus work there or is this somewhat recent????

• 4 weeks later...

I visit Skokie alot, but i don't see any garage or anything. So im guessing that nothing goes on there. Only trains i see. Where ever you heard about this, check the source again. I only see buses at the terminal, you may have seen a broken down bus maybe just being repaired or something.

Even a broken-down bus wouldn't be repaired at Skokie.

The first place a broken bus goes is back to its home garage (unless the mobile repair van can get it fixed). If it's something major, like bodywork or engine overhauls, it'll go to South Shops (and, even though they're located basically at the same place, "South Shops" and 77th Garage are two different facilities).

• 8 months later...

After all of this time, I finally stumbled across the pic I saw of the buses getting

some sort of shop work at Skokie in Hopetunnel. In the pic it shows a Nova over a service bay and a TMC in the background. There is an interior shot of the Nova with 4 or 5 tool boxes in it. Just wondering what this is all about. I knew I saw it a long time ago, just couldn't remember where.

That was taken at the Bus Roadeo/Rail Rodeo; the buses were there for bus maintenance competitions.

Speaking of that bus, does anyone have more information on it? It has no fleet number and a NovaBus emblem above the right turn signal. I didn't think to check the serial number.

Even a broken-down bus wouldn't be repaired at Skokie.

The first place a broken bus goes is back to its home garage (unless the mobile repair van can get it fixed). If it's something major, like bodywork or engine overhauls, it'll go to South Shops (and, even though they're located basically at the same place, "South Shops" and 77th Garage are two different facilities).

The Skokie Shops did at one time perform some level of work on buses based at North Side garages. The West Shops did similar work on the West Side fleet.

Operations were consolidated at the South Shops some time in the early 1960s, I believe.

LOL

I finally found this shop, or something like it?

While riding the number #97 Skokie.

Forgot what street it was on, but if you look out the left side of the bus on the route, ur bound to find it. It's hard 2 miss. :D

It is on Oakton east of Crawford, south side of street.