Metra State of Illinois locomotive

Railfan

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

How did it end up there? Don't they already have a heritage locomotive?

I don’t understand the question. It ended up there because Metra put it there, but that should be obvious. The State of Illinois isn’t meant to represent Metra’s “heritage” in the way that the tributes to predecessor railroads do.

2 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I don’t understand the question. It ended up there because Metra put it there, but that should be obvious. The State of Illinois isn’t meant to represent Metra’s “heritage” in the way that the tributes to predecessor railroads do.

My bad, I'll elaborate: I had (mistakenly, apparently) assumed the locomotive was assigned to the lines that ran out of Union Station South, since that's where I saw it on more than one occasion over the summer. I guess I was just wondering what prompted it's move to the Rock Island (a move I assume don't assume to be easy, seeing how separated the line is from the rest of the system). I had also assumed this because the Rock Island already had a special livery locomotive, they wouldn't have another, different one assigned to the line.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My bad, I'll elaborate: I had (mistakenly, apparently) assumed the locomotive was assigned to the lines that ran out of Union Station South, since that's where I saw it on more than one occasion over the summer. I guess I was just wondering what prompted it's move to the Rock Island (a move I assume don't assume to be easy, seeing how separated the line is from the rest of the system). I had also assumed this because the Rock Island already had a special livery locomotive, they wouldn't have another, different one assigned to the line.

With the logos for the six counties on 402, Metra might have wanted to take it on a tour of the entire system (excluding the lines where MP36's don't run). Or the move could have been completely arbitrary, as Metra doesn't have any reason to care how many locomotives with special paint schemes are assigned to each line.

Movements between Union Station and Rock Island are made via the St. Charles airline.

• Thanks 1