Drivers shuffling buses

Busjack

With the moves currently happening (i.e. 6604 going from Fox to South Holland to Academy in Mount Prospect), is there a crew of drivers that do this and bring the "to be" retired bus back to South Holland? Is this an overtime or extra board job? Does someone drive a bus up to Waukegan and take Metra back? Is the bus driven or put on a flatbed? (I did once see a 2400 on a flatbed truck on Skokie Highway, presumably going to get repaired.)

I know in the past sometimes the mechanics drove the buses from one garage to another. When Fox Valley got 2122-23-24 for the old 737 when I was there, they were not there on Saturday when we were done for the day, but were waiting on Monday when we came in. Usually when the buses were sent for engine or body work, they came and went on flatbeds.

There was one time when we had to take a bus to Southwest for the rodeo. Myself and another driver took 2 buses down to leave one, then just came back on the other. At that time we were extra boarders just hanging around the garage, and it gave us something to do.

Can't say for sure how they do it now.

• 4 months later...

Who would be delivering buses to Naperville, when there is no exchange of buses, and a private contractor?

I guess my first question would be how are buses delivered to a carrier to start with. I would think that Pace buses being delivered from (I guess) South Holland to Laidlaw might have drivers from Laidlaw dispatched to pick them up. It is also possible that they would be sent on flatbeds (as is the case often from body shop and or diesel shops to garages), although in this case I would tend to doubt it.

Since Pace is so into their contractors, I would bet that mechanics from South Holland

would get the honor (If Pace took care of their own divisions like they take care of the contractors, their own company would be in better shape).