Are NABIs bad compared to other buses?

rockford0547

I work for Rockford Mass Transit District. We are going to recieve 20 35ft Low Floor NABIs in the next couple of months. I have read some of the discussions on here about NABIs and some of the defects are frightening. So my question is: How bad are the NABIs compared to New Flyers, Flxibles, and Neoplans? And has NABI improved on it designs in recent years?

Pace has Three orders of nabis 1999 2002 and 2003s. From what i know the 1999 and 2002s are bad buses. From have no heat at all to haveing some heat with gaps in the driver area. Also there have to be the worst rideing buses made. If u go over a little pot hole it feels like the hole bus is going to fall apart. Also the brakes on the 2002s are very bad there sometime jerk u out of your seat. Theres been times that i know of that people have fall becasue of the bus jerking so bad. If it was up to me there be better off with a New Flyer,Nova or a Orion. Thats since u need to have a low floor now in days. Now for the Flxibles the Metros were very good buses. Look at the cta ones there may not look the best right now but hey there 16 years old. I think i will take the bet up flx over and nabi anyday. I dont know about the 2003 since south doesnt have any but i bet there are bad to.

See also Who thinks nabis are Junk. pace 2322's garage is mostly NABIs, but similar complaints have been noted in the press about other makes of buses (particularly that the CTA Novas jerked standees around). On the other hand, as also frequently mentioned, CTA went to the press about its problems with NABI articulateds (frame problems at the articulation and door closer engines that were not aligned). My position, noted in Small buses was that I didn't see any point in purchasing a "heavy duty" 35 foot bus, because one could purchase a 30 foot mid-bus (Optima or El Dorado) and have the same seating capacity, and each company makes a 35 foot bus, which undoubtedly is less expensive. However, it appears that our friend from Rock Island disputes using the smaller vehicles. Also, that pace2322 is now articulating his complaints.

Also, the 3 Pace series were 1999 (2401-2453), 2003 (6162-6261 and 6600-6684), and 2005 (6262-6322). The 6600s are analogous to what Rockford ordered.

• 3 months later...

This week been so mess up. I have been getting 2400s all week and well there got to go. 2452 was one what a junk that thing wont keep its air and it will only go to 90 psi. Other drives i know also have the same thing going wrong with that bus and no it wont be fix becasue nabi will not make parts. Also 2402 if u need a bath when it rains get on that bus. Its like being in a monsoon on that thing. From what i am seieng with them there need to go i know there not 12 years old. But there need alot of work on them and the shop told me that there have to put to much into them. I dind think someone can make something so bad and have people buy it.

For Rockford 0547

What buses are going to be the first ones RMTD is planning to replace? I havent had the chance to drive a NABI but I will soon. New Flyer is probably the best bus in the business now.

Does RMTD still operate the Flxibles? I remember seeing many times, the "13 WREX" Flxible. Was that bus equipped with a Cummins diesel?

I also had the chance to ride Gillig #9907

My brother and sister live in Poplar Grove so anytime I get the chance I go to 520 Mulberry st. to watch the buses come in and out.

• 4 weeks later...

Pace has Three orders of nabis 1999 2002 and 2003s. From what i know the 1999 and 2002s are bad buses. From have no heat at all to haveing some heat with gaps in the driver area. Also there have to be the worst rideing buses made. If u go over a little pot hole it feels like the hole bus is going to fall apart. Also the brakes on the 2002s are very bad there sometime jerk u out of your seat. Theres been times that i know of that people have fall becasue of the bus jerking so bad. If it was up to me there be better off with a New Flyer,Nova or a Orion. Thats since u need to have a low floor now in days. Now for the Flxibles the Metros were very good buses. Look at the cta ones there may not look the best right now but hey there 16 years old. I think i will take the bet up flx over and nabi anyday. I dont know about the 2003 since south doesnt have any but i bet there are bad to.

I Agree 100%, but I believe All the NABI buses are bad because I be riding those Newest ones with Blue logo from West Division 2005 NABI models on a route 322 Cermak, they also feels that they are falling apart when hitting a pote hole, I dont understand why Pace Keeps on ordering them, They are Jumpy especially those 35 ft, Sometimes I skip a trip while waiting on a bus stop for another type of bus to ride like Orion IVs or Nova Classic which are my favorite pace buses but dont have too many of them.,Its time to order different type of buses, why not RTS Legend or VanHools or more Nova Classics like (late 2380-2400) series. I even still love riding those Older Orion I and 1992 Ikarus (2200 Series) which some of them being retired but at least some of them are still running.

I believe Nova CLassics and those older Orion I are still the best for Pace.

See also Who thinks nabis are Junk. pace 2322's garage is mostly NABIs, but similar complaints have been noted in the press about other makes of buses (particularly that the CTA Novas jerked standees around). On the other hand, as also frequently mentioned, CTA went to the press about its problems with NABI articulateds (frame problems at the articulation and door closer engines that were not aligned). My position, noted in Small buses was that I didn't see any point in purchasing a "heavy duty" 35 foot bus, because one could purchase a 30 foot mid-bus (Optima or El Dorado) and have the same seating capacity, and each company makes a 35 foot bus, which undoubtedly is less expensive. However, it appears that our friend from Rock Island disputes using the smaller vehicles. Also, that pace2322 is now articulating his complaints.

Also, the 3 Pace series were 1999 (2401-2453), 2003 (6162-6261 and 6600-6684), and 2005 (6262-6322). The 6600s are analogous to what Rockford ordered.

I think Any kind of NABIs are Junk but I guess that they are the most popular buses these days but I dont like riding them, especially those Articulated CTAs (7500 series) they are so Jumpy, Jerking, the rear door Shuts on you. I was so shocked that they've replaced those 1982 MAN Articulated from Seattle (7300) they ride way better, smooth, the dont have to open the rear door on your own, but too bad that A/C wasnt working though but I still take advanage of them than NABI.

This week been so mess up. I have been getting 2400s all week and well there got to go. 2452 was one what a junk that thing wont keep its air and it will only go to 90 psi. Other drives i know also have the same thing going wrong with that bus and no it wont be fix becasue nabi will not make parts. Also 2402 if u need a bath when it rains get on that bus. Its like being in a monsoon on that thing. From what i am seieng with them there need to go i know there not 12 years old. But there need alot of work on them and the shop told me that there have to put to much into them. I dind think someone can make something so bad and have people buy it.

I believe that all 2400s should be replace immediately even they are only 8 years old, but I always seeing them breaking down almost everyday all over the south suburban.

Today 12 nabis had to be tow in. there are 2404,2414,2417,2418,2452,6167,6178,6183,6188,6204,6217 and 6656. All do to the so call heat we are haveing.

Well they should put those Ikarus from the scrap back on the line, they are still few of them still running for the west division. I've rode one 2216 on Cermak to Lombard from 54/ Cermak, they still run good but barely gets up and go.

Well they should put those ones from the scrap back on the line, they are still few of them still running for the west division. I've rode one 2216 on Cermak to Lombard from 54/ Cermak, they still run good but barely gets up and go.
No one said anything that any NABI other than 6173 is on the scrap line. pace2322 likes 6173, but that's the only one there.

2216 is an Ikarus, not a NABI, if that's what you meant.

Today 12 nabis had to be tow in. there are 2404,2414,2417,2418,2452,6167,6178,6183,6188,6204,6217 and 6656. All do to the so call heat we are haveing.
What's the numbers at the other garages (W, H, N, NS, R, Laidlaw, and Colonial)?

Ok here is my list of why nabis are junk.

1. There ride so bad it fells like u are going to fall in the street.

2. There slow as hell i think u can walk faster then there take off.

3. The doors just plan suck u can open the doors front or rear and it will take 15 to 30 sec. to open. And it takes about the same time to close.

4. Most of the time there have no heat what so ever it can be 20 out side and -10 in the bus there so bad.

5. Also there ac suxs on them The 6200, 6600s are worst then the older 2400s.

6. The brakes scard u sometimes it fells like u are not going to stop. Then there stop all at once and make people fall out of there seats.

7.When u make turns it fells like u are going to tip the bus over.

8. When it rains on most of them u might as well bring soap with so u dont have to take a bath at home.

9. The sign just sux most of our 2400s dont work at all anymore.

10. The speedometer doesnt work on most of them. Thats nice to go down a 45 m.p.h work zone and not know what your speed is.

Well thats all i can think about right now that why nabis are bad.

No one said anything that any NABI other than 6173 is on the scrap line. pace2322 likes 6173, but that's the only one there.

2216 is an Ikarus, not a NABI, if that's what you meant.

Yes, I meant Ikarus, sorry. But NABI did took over Ikarus back in late 90s

Yes, I meant Ikarus, sorry. But NABI did took over Ikarus back in late 90s
They didn't took over Ikarus or take it over, either. NABI may have purchased an Ikarus plant, and both may have been participants in a co-owned company, but it was a separate company. Read the Wikipedia article (which fairly represents what NABI had posted in its prospectuses and reports until they were taken down when NABI Rt's assets were sold to Cerberus), and let us know if you have figured it out. The 2200s were the American Ikarus ones.