Chinese manufacture offers cheaper hybrids

Kevin

It was reported on CNET today that Chinese manufacture AFV Solutions is claiming they can cut the price of a diesel-electric hybrid bus by about half:

Right now, a diesel-electric hybrid from someone like DaimlerChrysler and sells for around $480,000 to $500,000. AFV, which partners with China's Wuzhoulong, can make them for $150,000 to $200,000, said CEO Richard Steele in an interview. The company has already sold a bunch of them to Macao, the gambling haven near mainland China, and into South America.

I'm wondering how they're able to make them so cheap without sacrificing quality or reliability.

I'm wondering how they're able to make them so cheap without sacrificing quality or reliability.
Probably can't. Also, this doesn't assume Buy America rules (to sell them to the FTA supported market, 60% of the assembly would have to be done in the US), and it is also questionable whether they would include such items required by transit agencies as accessibility, gps, etc. I remember when New York State tried Hinos, and put signs on them saying that they did not meet U.S. standards.

Apparently, they also think they can save some by selling in bulk; they claim to be able to make 12,000 vehicles a year, when a manufacturer meeting Buy America requirements maybe makes 1/10th of that amount.

Probably a similar deal to buying a Chery for $3600.