Milwaukee County Transit System

Archon

Do you have pictures? Ive been looking for pictures of the 3900 series Gillig spirits?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

James Roach

Hello I am a Operator at MCTS for the last 18 years. So if Any info is needed about busses, past and present. I have lot's of info on them. I will be glad to answer you questions.

Hello I am a Operator at MCTS for the last 18 years. So if Any info is needed about busses, past and present. I have lot's of info on them. I will be glad to answer you questions.

Hello Milwaukee, Welcome Aboard!!

I have a question, What happened to the GMC RTS 3100s series buses? I saw but never got to ride them. I loved the sound of those diesel engines, they sounded very powerful. A few years ago I found one in Waukegan ,Ill. The marking were of course taken off but it had the MCTS paint scheme. Do you know if any of them stiil exist?

Welcome to the group!

The last time I was in Milwaukee may have been 2005. Here are some questions:

1) Does MCTS have any new buses on order (received any since 2005)?

2) If you have been to Chicago since the 1000 series New Flyers arrived, what are the functional differences between CTA's and MCTS' buses?

Gene King

I can field those last two questions.

1) No, there are no current buses on order. The last new buses were 9 New Flyers received in 2006 (5000-5008). The next order may not be until 2009-2010, when the 4000s are due to be replaced (the goal is to get 14 years out of those buses). Unfortunately, in the mean time, MCTS is struggling to even maintain funding for the existing system, and (similar to CTA) has used up far too much in the way of federal capital funding simply to maintain existing operations.

2) Off the top of my head, MCTS's buses have different transmissions, such as the Voith 3- or 4-speed transmissions (stuff from 2001-2003 has the 3-speed, everything since has a 4-speed), or Allison transmissions (the 1996 and 2000 orders). CTA's are equipped with ZF transmissions. And Milwaukee doesn't have the fancy sonar-actuated back door. (And, no rear destination sign in Milwaukee; but at least the signs in front and on the side work). Other than that, I'm not sure of the differences.

I can field those last two questions.

1) No, there are no current buses on order. The last new buses were 9 New Flyers received in 2006 (5000-5008). The next order may not be until 2009-2010, when the 4000s are due to be replaced (the goal is to get 14 years out of those buses). Unfortunately, in the mean time, MCTS is struggling to even maintain funding for the existing system, and (similar to CTA) has used up far too much in the way of federal capital funding simply to maintain existing operations.

2) Off the top of my head, MCTS's buses have different transmissions, such as the Voith 3- or 4-speed transmissions (stuff from 2001-2003 has the 3-speed, everything since has a 4-speed), or Allison transmissions (the 1996 and 2000 orders). CTA's are equipped with ZF transmissions. And Milwaukee doesn't have the fancy sonar-actuated back door. (And, no rear destination sign in Milwaukee; but at least the signs in front and on the side work). Other than that, I'm not sure of the differences.

All buses are New flyer All Have A/C

buses 4000-4145 1996 have Series 50 detroit 4 with allison 5 speed B-400 with 1 st gear locked out they start is 2nd gear. Flip dot type sign with florence lamp. manual run number.

Buses 4200-4208 1997 are 30 foot with Cummins 6 with allison 4 speed B-300 No rear door flip dot type sign with florence lamp. manual run number

buses 4300-4389 2000 cummins 6 with allison 5 speed B-400 backlit flip dot with green LED sign and run number

Buses 4400-4459 2001 Cummuns ISC 6 with Voith 3 Speed D-863 Backlit flip dot Green LED sing and run number

buses 4500-4519 2002 30 foot bus cumminsI SC 6 allision 4B-300 speed Orange LED sign and run number no rear door

buses 4600-4639 2002 cummins ISC 6 Voith 3 speed D-863 Orange LED Sign and run number.

buses 4700-4750 2003 cummins ISC 6 Voith 4 speed D-863-3 Orange LED Sign and run Number

buses 4800-4829 2004 cummins ISC 6 Voith 4 speed D-864 Orange LED Sign and run number

buses 4900-4914 2005 cummins ISC 6 Voith 4 speed D-864 Orange LED Sign and run number

buses 5000-5009 2006 cummins ISC 6 Voith 4 speed D-864 Orange LED Sign and run number

4 Trolley Chance 2000? 13,14,16,20. cummins ISB 6 Allison 5 speed B-400. Green Backlit LED sign and run number

Have no info on OZ Gillig's

Hello Milwaukee, Welcome Aboard!!

I have a question, What happened to the GMC RTS 3100s series buses? I saw but never got to ride them. I loved the sound of those diesel engines, they sounded very powerful. A few years ago I found one in Waukegan ,Ill. The marking were of course taken off but it had the MCTS paint scheme. Do you know if any of them stiil exist?

Most RTS were scraped in 2000-2001 75 % were beyond help rusted thru and bad engines and transmissions

Transit Express had 2 RTS's sitting in there lot on 6th street south and walnut. They have disapeared from there so they might have moved them. They also had 2 Neoplan 3300's there too at one time.

Some RTS's went to West Memphis AR.

I got to drive alot of RTS's I liked them.