Houston Neoplans In Chicago.....

Hello my fellow busfans,

I went earlier this afternoon to apply at Colonial/Academy in Mt Prospect,

I saw three ex-Houston Metro Neoplan Artics sitting in front of their offices.

The buses still have the Metro colors and numbers but only the Metro logo is gone.

The numbers were 1498 1488 1501. I do not know what they are being used for, if at all.

There were plenty of model buses to look at there from Orions to older RTS buses of course their OTR fleet as well.

Good looking equipment, I think it will be an interesting place to work. I was planning to apply at Pace NS but Colonial

has more flexibility with my firefighter schedule. More to come.....

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did a ride along with a very nice operator on the Pace #616 Chancellory, (lots of turns!) :) . We rode aboard Orion #2300.

I recieved my schedule when I begin next week. They have assigned me to the PACE #616, 606, (1 EB trip AM on the #600) #696. Its great to be driving again.

I thought you said that Academy was a separate entity and you had to work for them to drive the Pace contract routes.

Colonial Coach is the main company, Academy is the operating arm of Colonial. Academy's drivers such as myself, we are charged with the operation of the Pace contracts. But we are also available to operate Colonials OTR fleet as well. When you apply at Colonial you are given a choice of what type of work you wish to do. You can ask to operate the OTR fleet, running charters, Pace 855, etc.. or you can choose to operate the Pace buses and there you will be part of Academy but you are still a Colonial employee. Pace operators wear an Academy patch on the uniform. They will also have a Pace badge with an assigned badge number and the badge will have "Academy" stiched on it. I was out today with an operator on the #606. Lots of twists and turns but the routes so far I like them. Im enjoying my time so far at Academy, The crew there are great. Seems everyone gets along a lot better than at CTA. Good operators.

• 3 months later...

Did there look like this cta 5750?

:( Dang. Yup---those were OUR buses. The fleet numbers for those buses were 1450-1503. ALL had the suburban-style seating. I should know because I had ridden those buses some times---or more. I think those buses will be greatly missed but they reached their age here in Houston and sadly, they had to go. I wish those buses the best of luck whereever they're at now. ;)

~Cedric Collins~

• 2 months later...