We Need More Buses

pace2322

Well i found out today that South,and West needs alot more buses. So this is what there wanting to do. We allmost put the 8900s back in serivce but we cant do to ada. So thats pace for u that what there get for selling all the 2000s this year. So to the so call extra buses fall out of the sky. Just watch out if u ride your bus may not come. At south i know we cut the trippers before anything And yea there are alot of them on the 352. So what do there do cut the runs so u have 150 people a trip now. Maybe next the there see that know not to get anymore nabis. There spend more time in the shop then the road.

If this isn't just another NABI rant, maybe whoever is in charge of those things should complete the deliveries of 2600s to Highland Park and North Shore, and then you could have some of theirs (but many of them would be 6600s). But I remember that the last time I made such a remark, they crashed 2635. Also, if the deliveries to feeder routes were completed, you would get back the contractors' 2000s (not all were sold, and remember that 2122, 2125, and 2128 are still around, according to my and other members' recent sightings).

Other than that, Pace claims not to have the capital funds. Of course, its 2006 and 2007 budgets didn't disclose the source of the funds for about 46 of the 102 2600s. The only open options are for 2600s. Thus, Pace would have to either advertise for new bids or go into the second-hand market (instead of being a seller into it) to get 40-foot buses, assuming that there is any capital money.

The question I have, is why is there such a shortage? Are retired buses just not getting replaced or are buses breaking down to where they can't be repaired, or are so many down being repaired that maintenance can't keep up ??? Are the wizards creating service demands that can't be kept (ala Metra), ie. creating additional service without the equipment to run it, or are the boys in Arlington Heights asleep at the wheel when it comes to bus assignments.

It does amaze me that there is constant talk of expansion and increase in service, but nobody can seem to operate what they have now !!!!!

What gives ?????

As far as "creating service demands," at least the presentation for the South Cook-Will Restructuring admits:

Pace does not have enough operating funds or vehicles at this time to implement all of the changes contained in the service concepts (page 7).

However, if the availability of buses is that short, Pace could immediately put out to hearing the cuts suggested in those concepts, including 353 south of 170th, 382 south of 73rd, 384 south of 111th, 831 north of Orland, 835, and combining 877 and 888. Start implementing the DAR concepts. Other ideas (probably half baked, but not as much as those in charge might have):

• Quit doing CTA's work north of about 127th. That will get the people out for the hearings on CTA's restructuring. Or at least start charging the same level of cash fares as CTA.
  • Hire some pushers, like the Japanese supposedly have in their subway system to cram the people in.

I will tell u what gives. Maintenance can't keep up that what it is u allways have the same buses with the same brake downs.Ie 6188 or 6189 there just die where there fell like it and u get no lights before there die to. More then once there die on the ryan in the lanes and made it back up. It never used to be that way at south. Also we cant get any parts from nabi. Whats the use for paying for parts when there dont send then at all. Right now we have three or four 6100/6200 nabis that have not ran since Nov./Dec 06. Nabi keeps tell us the parts are on there way well were are there?. I dont care if u guys think this is another NABI rant. I am just telling u guys like it is.

Nabi keeps tell us the parts are on there way well were are there?. I dont care if u guys think this is another NABI rant. I am just telling u guys like it is.

I won't take that as another NABI rant. That was the same problem Pace had with NABI's predecessor (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) American Ikarus with the 2200's at West. They were always short on parts for those buses and could not get Ikarus to make anything available. It was a serious problem....serious enough that when Pace went with the first NABI's (2400's) that there were many eyebrows raised that the same thing would happen. I guess it took 8 years, but it looks like maybe it is happening again. CTA better watch out, because sooner or later it will bite the artics too !!!!

I realize that the Ikarus thing was a little different being a true foreign builder and they were having money troubles...but there were concerns in 1999 when they went with NABI.

Since the powertrains are American (to meet Buy America Act requirements), there must be other sources of them. I understand that the NABI company itself isn't in the best of shape.

There was the Tribune report that CTA was trying to get the component list from NABI.

The 2400s we have are so bad now. There need to do somwrthing with then there not going to last 12 years at all. Most fo the are so beat that there look like and run like there 30 years old. And it the same with the 2400s that we cant get parts for them. Most fo the 2400s the ramps dont work on them anymore. So u have to get out of the seat and work it by hand.

• 8 months later...
What about the other NABI 6300's ---- #6323-6399 it would help South&West Divisions instead of giving 6677 and 6678 to south
What NABIs over 6322 (the last one delivered)? Again, consult the Pace budget mentioned earlier. If you think there are unexpired options, there aren't, as NABI said when it was taken over by Cerberus that all existing obligations on options had expired. So if Pace had any more options, it doesn't now. The only buses on which it has options are the EZ Riders.