Bizarre combination

redlinerider

I am 99% sure I saw this, but several weeks ago at Howard, I saw 1 car of a 3200 series paired with a 2600 series. The number was in the 3400s I believe. It was being used on the Yellow Line. Was I seeing things?
No, but this is nothing new. 3457 is paired with former 3032 (renumbered as 3458), whose mate was destroyed. See Chicago-l.org roster sheets. They used to be on the Purple Line until the Yellow Line was converted to third rail (see Chicago-l.org picture).

• 1 month later...

I am 99% sure I saw this, but several weeks ago at Howard, I saw 1 car of a 3200 series paired with a 2600 series. The number was in the 3400s I believe. It was being used on the Yellow Line. Was I seeing things?

Spotted the same thing some months ago. I thought I had imagined it because it was only a glancing view. But I got a closer look a few days after that. I got to see that the 2600 series car had been renumbered as mentioned above. It's true that pairing L cars with a different mate is nothing new. 2791 is permanently paired with 2856, though they're both of the same series.

Spotted the same thing some months ago. I thought I had imagined it because it was only a glancing view. But I got a closer look a few days after that. I got to see that the 2600 series car had been renumbered as mentioned above. It's true that pairing L cars with a different mate is nothing new. 2791 is permanently paired with 2856, though they're both of the same series.

The only other remarried-and-renumbered unit which is currently in revenue service is 2200-series pair 2351-2352, which were originally numbered 2307 and 2316, respectively. Other remated units are 2400-series units 2469-2504 and 2531-2482 (in addition to the aforementioned 2600-series 2791-2856 pair). The CTA's car roster also shows unit 2503-2470, which are likely damaged and may be scrapped.