Flxible Prototype #6000

RIPTA42

According to the Ohio Museum of Transportation's Flxible Metro delivery list, CTA #6000 is a 1994 40102-4D prototype. Is this the same #6000 that's running now, and if it is, is it still a 4-cylinder?

I believe it just may be possible because I do remember a bus numbered 6000 being tested on training runs at Kedzie garage during the summer of 1994 and through the end of that year shortly after my return to Chicago from my year living in Champaign. I remember it moving to 77th garage when the other first revenue service 6000s started arriving there so that the 5300s borrowed from Forest Glen could be returned. Not sure if the engine is still 4 cylinder or if it was converted when the first full order started arriving in January 1995.

I believe it just may be possible because I do remember a bus numbered 6000 being tested on training runs at Kedzie garage during the summer of 1994 and through the end of that year shortly after my return to Chicago from my year living in Champaign.

Two things:

1. I've lived in Champaign numerous times. Awesome!

2. I remember when they did the NABI training runs out of North Park. I followed it one day, and it was doing the 146. I saw it a day later following the 147 route. One time, a few days later, I saw it on Montrose and thought it was a 78. Apparently, however, this was during the brief time that the 146 ran on Clarendon between Lawrence and Montrose.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the 5300 delivery lists in this roster, there is a number in the group that we never received. Is this just a goof in their entries?

Last bus in series(CTA records): 5769

Last bus in series(OMOT records): 5770

It's either a goof (most likely explanation) or the bus wasn't in service for very long. I don't remember ever having seen a 5770. I've only seen up to 5769.

One other thing, I remember 5766-5769 being odd in that they didn't have the exhaust pipe at the rear top-left corner. I remember the exhaust fumes coming through the exterior rear grate covering the air conditioner fans.