Rickey Hendon's arrogance

jajuan

Well Rickey Hendon is at it again guys. This morning, while heading home from work, I spotted a campaign poster on the bus shelter at the WB California stop of the 12 Roosevelt. I kid you not on the poster is plastered, "Senator Hendon Saves the CTA." I'm thinking to myself who does this bum think he's fooling. He did not even give a rat's behind about the transit funding issue until we were all just about down to the last wire of the last and final Doomsday. When I emailed him directly to voice my concerns back in December 2006 before the whole Doomsday roller coaster got started, I never even got a response from him or any of his staff. I never got a response when I emailed him throughout 2007 to give my concerns about the funding issue. As a matter of fact, when I tried earlier this month, the email address didn't work anymore and it's the same email address that's given on the Senate's web directory. Now he's basically taking all the glory for finally doing the job that we the taxpayers have been paying all in Springfield to do but had not been doing all year last year. I mean give me a break. As if he alone singlehandedly authorized the new funding for all three Service Boards when it took a vote by both legislative chambers and certification and signing from the governor. I haven't been impressed by too many of the Springfield politicians, but this guy definitely takes the cake. I'm ashamed to admit that this is the person who represents my community in the Illinois Senate. Hopefully everyone will wise up in my senatorial district when it's time to vote in the primaries Tuesday.

Well Rickey Hendon is at it again guys. This morning, while heading home from work, I spotted a campaign poster on the bus shelter at the WB California stop of the 12 Roosevelt. I kid you not on the poster is plastered, "Senator Hendon Saves the CTA." I'm thinking to myself who does this bum think he's fooling. He did not even give a rat's behind about the transit funding issue until we were all just about down to the last wire of the last and final Doomsday. When I emailed him directly to voice my concerns back in December 2006 before the whole Doomsday roller coaster got started, I never even got a response from him or any of his staff. I never got a response when I emailed him throughout 2007 to give my concerns about the funding issue. As a matter of fact, when I tried earlier this month, the email address didn't work anymore and it's the same email address that's given on the Senate's web directory. Now he's basically taking all the glory for finally doing the job that we the taxpayers have been paying all in Springfield to do but had not been doing all year last year. I mean give me a break. As if he alone singlehandedly authorized the new funding for all three Service Boards when it took a vote by both legislative chambers and certification and signing from the governor. I haven't been impressed by too many of the Springfield politicians, but this guy definitely takes the cake. I'm ashamed to admit that this is the person who represents my community in the Illinois Senate. Hopefully everyone will wise up in my senatorial district when it's time to vote in the primaries Tuesday.

Normally, I would say that while political discussions are certainly important, this is not the place for such discussions. That's what I'd say. At least normally. But, I've got to agree with you on this. You're 100% right.

Normally, I would say that while political discussions are certainly important, this is not the place for such discussions. That's what I'd say. At least normally. But, I've got to agree with you on this. You're 100% right.

And of course I normally wouldn't bring this up here, but since it did involve the CTA in part and it was so ridiculous I couldn't resist sharing it with everyone.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the "transit crisis" will never end. I previously mentioned that I thought Hendon and Blago had a side deal, especially when Hendon's name came up on the Senate version of the bill, which was the one that finally passed.

Also with regard to the "transit crisis" never ending, I just heard radio news reports, and even worse, an ad by the Realtors complaining about the real estate transfer tax. Especially the ad, where there was the complaint "this isn't even going to get you any more buses or trains, IT'S FOR PENSIONS." Like, duh, wasn't that supposedly the main cause of the threatened doomsday?

You also have the disabled lobby complaining that paratransit rules that comply with federal law are somehow illegal.

So, everyone takes credit, and no one stops complaining, either though neither is deserved.

Personally I blame all the people who elected this garbage (Hendon) to office. Just like the people who elected Todd Stroger and now the same people who voted for him are losing their jobs at the expense of Stroger. Hendon needs to be voted out of office. He should have never been elected in the first place. He plays politics and dosent give rats behind about anyone but himself. Hendon always makes everything a racial issue. Vote these bums out of office!

Personally I blame all the people who elected this garbage (Hendon) to office. Just like the people who elected Todd Stroger and now the same people who voted for him are losing their jobs at the expense of Stroger. Hendon needs to be voted out of office. He should have never been elected in the first place. He plays politics and dosent give rats behind about anyone but himself. Hendon always makes everything a racial issue. Vote these bums out of office!

Well I live in the guy's district and the problem hasn't been no one not wanting to vote him out. The problem has been that in the last few elections, he's run basically unopposed in the primaries and then with little or no competition in the general election. Plus with the district being overwhelmingly Democratic, once he's one the primaries the general elections have been in the bag. I hate to say it, but he's been basically having no real competition to get him booted out. You can't blame the people for no one really running against him. If someone had run against him, then I would probably see justification for your frustration with the voters in his regard.

If someone had run against him, then I would probably see justification for your frustration with the voters in his regard.

It's not a question of justification. If you're implying that we shouldn't be frustrated because we're not willing to run against him, I think you're completely wrong. I mean, I absolutely HATE our president, but I wouldn't run for president myself.

It's not a question of justification. If you're implying that we shouldn't be frustrated because we're not willing to run against him, I think you're completely wrong. I mean, I absolutely HATE our president, but I wouldn't run for president myself.

I don't think so. Especially in this situation. Plus I'm not saying you can't be frustrated. However, you can't be upset with voters for someone still being in office if no one is running against him. I will say again and for the final time, because this is going beyond the scope of this forum, that if someone was running against Hendon and he was still getting reelected I could see CTA5750's point. However if no one has really run against him then how can anyone be upset at voters that he is still in office. That makes no sense to me. It's hard to vote him out with no competition. If we want him out and there is no one opposing him, then find someone who will if none of us is willing to do it.

You also have the disabled lobby complaining that paratransit rules that comply with federal law are somehow illegal.

What is the story you're referring to? I hadn't heard.

Also, I thought I'd take the opportunity to mention Hendon's opponents: Jonathan Singh Bedi &

Amy Sue Mertens. In case anyone lives out that way aside from Jajuan, who already seems to know what he's going to do.

What is the story you're referring to? I hadn't heard.

There were basically two stories.

The main one (see Tribune link) were those complaining that Pace was going to double the price of the 30 day pass (apparently only sold in Chicago). My point was that apparently federal law, which mandates paratransit if a transit authority receives federal capital funds, but contributes no federal money to it, allows paratransit fares to be double regular ones (and, in fact, the fare in the suburbs is $3.00). Also, the person quoted in the article said that the legislature forgot them, which wasn't the case--the 2005 bill that turned paratransit over to Pace mandated a 10% recovery ratio (going up to 12%).

There were also some radio reports that the disabled were going to sue because seniors got free rides and they didn't.

Now, I can sort of see the political view that city paratransit riders are dependent on a board consisting of suburban mayors. However, CTA didn't have any problem giving up paratransit, so long as (in Carole Brown's own words) there was a funding source for it (at that time, so long as the $54 million to pay for it didn't come out of CTA's pocket).

For those thinking that voting makes a difference with the state legislature, the only contested Senate races are in the 5th (Hendon has 2 opponents, as noted above), 7th, 20th, 26th, and 41st. The only ones where there is a chance of a general election between nominated Democratic and Republican candidates are the 9th, 11th, 21st, 26th, 33rd and 41st. The state rep race is similar, with contested primaries only in the 27th, 28th, 56th, 66th, and 78th. Information is for Cook County only, from http://www.voterinfonet.com/.

Thus, those of you in the 5th have a chance to do something there, but for most of the rest of us, the legislature is entrenched.

To a certain extent, I am also enjoying the City Council debate over the transfer tax. While the time for the Realtors to complain about it was when it was proposed to the state legislature last May, not now, I don't have any problem with the city council making Carole Brown and Huberman tow the city council's line, so long as only Chicago taxpayers are on the hook.

To a certain extent, I am also enjoying the City Council debate over the transfer tax. While the time for the Realtors to complain about it was when it was proposed to the state legislature last May, not now, I don't have any problem with the city council making Carole Brown and Huberman tow the city council's line, so long as only Chicago taxpayers are on the hook.

Well, that passed, but the alderman that wanted amendments got what they wanted, according to the Tribune blog. So, one less thing to kvetch about.

I always thought that the military got free rides, but that must be the old days.

Also, those of you hoping for a change in state legislator apparently didn't get it.

I don't think so. Especially in this situation. Plus I'm not saying you can't be frustrated. However, you can't be upset with voters for someone still being in office if no one is running against him.

No, but I can be mad at the community as a whole for not doing more. I mean, I spend time trying to get smart, ethical people into office by campaigning, and it pisses me off when people are ignorant enough to not even try to make a difference.

For those thinking that voting makes a difference with the state legislature, the only contested Senate races are in the 5th (Hendon has 2 opponents, as noted above), 7th, 20th, 26th, and 41st. The only ones where there is a chance of a general election between nominated Democratic and Republican candidates are the 9th, 11th, 21st, 26th, 33rd and 41st. The state rep race is similar, with contested primaries only in the 27th, 28th, 56th, 66th, and 78th. Information is for Cook County only, from http://www.voterinfonet.com/.

Thus, those of you in the 5th have a chance to do something there, but for most of the rest of us, the legislature is entrenched.

Well the real estate transfer tax has passed according to the 6 pm edition of ABC7 news.

Well the real estate transfer tax has passed according to the 6 pm edition of ABC7 news.

Channel 11 had an excerpt in which Bernie Stone in essence said to shut down the CTA and show the legislature something. Apparently he is getting senile, and his opponent should have won in the last close election. The legislature has done what it has done, and sure isn't going to revisit the situation because he says so.

On the other hand, it would have been interesting if Mayor Daley meant his threat to pull bus service in wards of the aldermen who voted no. I guess no bus service to the near South Side, South Shore, and in Rogers Park west of Ridge. But, then again, Doomsday would have pulled the latter, anyhow (at least for 93 and 96).

All it is now is political theater, signifying nothing.

Well I live in the guy's district and the problem hasn't been no one not wanting to vote him out. The problem has been that in the last few elections, he's run basically unopposed in the primaries and then with little or no competition in the general election. Plus with the district being overwhelmingly Democratic, once he's one the primaries the general elections have been in the bag. I hate to say it, but he's been basically having no real competition to get him booted out. You can't blame the people for no one really running against him. If someone had run against him, then I would probably see justification for your frustration with the voters in his regard.

Yes, this jerk (Hendon)is padding himself on the back for doing absolutely NOTHING!!!, to help the CTA! All he does is complain when things dont go his way, He has to throw in that word "racism". He has problems! I would love to tell it to him in his face!.

Yes, this jerk (Hendon)is padding himself on the back for doing absolutely NOTHING!!!, to help the CTA!

Assuming (1) the governor doesn't get indicted, and (2) his campaign fund is not depleted by legal fees, and can be replenished despite the fact that his fund raisers are under indictment (both huge leaps), I can see the following type of commercial for the governor, using the usual back my allies and stab my opponents in the back:

When a transit service was threatened and the legislature [including my opponent's father] couldn't act, I came to the rescue with two plans that forestalled Doomsday. Then I signed a bill, sponsored by State Senator Rickey Hendon, to solve the crisis. I also gave seniors free rides, and (am working/did work) to do the same for the disabled.

All true, but all revisionist history, not mentioning how they both interfered with the process until it was to their advantage to get on the train. But the latter will never be mentioned again.