My ride on CTA/Pace

San Diego is so far a "New Flyer" town. Did you see those 1995 New Flyer D40HFs and D60HFs? I remembered rode them and their Ikarus 416s 2 years ago, I loved them.

I lived in San Diego from 1989 to 93 when I served in the Navy. I took advantage of San Diego Transit its trolley and other systems serving the San Diego area such as Chula Vista Transit which operated Flx Metros and Orion Is, National City Transit operating GMC New Looks, North San Diego County Transit which was all Flxible Metros then. MTS was basically the small regional transit system similar to how RTA operated our suburbs back in the 80s. Now MTS has taken over all San Diego area transit operations. I was a big time transit buff then as well. At that time the Ikarus 416s had just arrived. San Diego Transit had GMC New Looks both U.S. and Canadian, MAN SG220 artics, Flxible New Looks with a/c, Gillig Phantoms. Later SDT ordered more Gillig Phantoms and just before leaving the Navy the first New Flyer D60 Artics began arriving.

San Diego is so far a "New Flyer" town. Did you see those 1995 New Flyer D40HFs and D60HFs? I remembered rode them and their Ikarus 416s 2 years ago, I loved them.

Not Completely.... They are in the process of receiving 60ft CNG BRT NABI's to replace older D60LF's and D60HF's. It was the first BRT styled bus ive ever riden on.

I didn't really hear too much of a difference except that on 804 it made the same subtle whirring sound when starting from a stop that the Gillig Hybrids with the same Allison EP-40 system here make. I don't remember any revving though when it would stop, which I do remember on the Gilligs. The revving sound on ours could also be that ours have the ISB instead of the ISL.

Cummins for the 800 series. The 800s have the GM/Allison EP-40 hybrid-drive with ISL and the 900s have the ISE-Siemens ThunderVolt hybrid system, I'm not sure if they use ISL or ISB though. I don't know of any hybrid buses with Series 50 in them actually but there's always a first :D The Cleveland RTA New Flyers have the other engine type that has been used in a hybrid drive system, CAT C-9 with the Allison EP-40 (unless its EP-50). I should be uploading a video of one tomorrow.

Thanks...I was aware of the Hybrid systems that each type had, but wasnt sure of the engines. Do the 900's also have Cummins?

Thanks...I was aware of the Hybrid systems that each type had, but wasnt sure of the engines. Do the 900's also have Cummins?

According to the ttmg.org CTA roster they have Cummins ISB 260 hp. I assume this is correct although as one viewer pointed out on my 2023 video it has an Allison B400R transmission not a ZF one like the roster states. So I can't say with 100 percent certainty as I haven't ridden one :)

EDIT: Also looking forward to your MTS pics when you have time to post them :)

Here is a review of what I saw and rode on while in Chicago on Friday.

Pace Orion I # 2301 on 606. This bus was awful for riding but I liked hearing the engine sound, Detroit Diesel right?

Went back to the front and saw that there was this one answerable question, although I don't play "name that tune."

Anyway, the documents for Pace contractor routes say:

DD-92TA DDEC-II

Allison HT-748 ATEC

Also has the power steering and air conditioner manufacturers, but bus fans don't seem to care about that. :D

The Eldos have Cummings 5.9 and 6 and Allison B 300R Gen 3. Surprisingly, or maybe not, the documents for the 66xs didn't have the specs for the 6600 series NABIs assigned to that contract.

Went back to the front and saw that there was this one answerable question, although I don't play "name that tune."

Anyway, the documents for Pace contractor routes say:

DD-92TA DDEC-II

Allison HT-748 ATEC

Also has the power steering and air conditioner manufacturers, but bus fans don't seem to care about that. :D

The Eldos have Cummings 5.9 and 6 and Allison B 300R Gen 3. Surprisingly, or maybe not, the documents for the 66xs didn't have the specs for the 6600 series NABIs assigned to that contract.

Hey, thanks for the info. Hopefully i'll be back sometime before all the Orion I's are dead, I would say retired but I think dead is more accurate :P

Hey, thanks for the info. Hopefully i'll be back sometime before all the Orion I's are dead, I would say retired but I think dead is more accurate :P
It probably depends on when the 58 stimulus plan buses show up and the capital bill bonds are signed. May be quicker than you think.

It probably depends on when the 58 stimulus plan buses show up and the capital bill bonds are signed. May be quicker than you think.

Took a ride thru the far south suburbs yesterday. I thought about the 58 Eldorado's that will be forthcoming and could not help but think that Pace south will be a candidate for some (after Joliet) for all of its feeder routes, which will free up a lot of 6600 NABIs for heavier operations and Academy/Colonial. thus "killing" the Orion Is.

According to the ttmg.org CTA roster they have Cummins ISB 260 hp. I assume this is correct although as one viewer pointed out on my 2023 video it has an Allison B400R transmission not a ZF one like the roster states. So I can't say with 100 percent certainty as I haven't ridden one :)

EDIT: Also looking forward to your MTS pics when you have time to post them :)

Sorry it took me so long to get these up (technical difficulties).

post-446-1244310603_thumb.jpgpost-446-1244310663_thumb.jpgpost-446-1244310714_thumb.jpgpost-446-1244310748_thumb.jpg

1. I hate the automated announcements, the person talks crazy fast and is hard to hear.

2. I do like the way the destination signs are programmed (everything in one view)

3. On the 60ft BRT NABI's that crazy looking one piece front door kept malfunctioning (didn't want to close). So the driver just drove off with it open and it eventually closed. LOL

4. I like the new paint scheme.

post-446-1244310603_thumb.jpgpost-446-1244310663_thumb.jpgpost-446-1244310714_thumb.jpgpost-446-1244310748_thumb.jpg

1. I hate the automated announcements, the person talks crazy fast and is hard to hear.

2. I do like the way the destination signs are programmed (everything in one view)

3. On the 60ft BRT NABI's that crazy looking one piece front door kept malfunctioning (didn't want to close). So the driver just drove off with it open and it eventually closed. LOL

Wow, I remember while living in San Diego, walking down Broadway downtown in the early 90s. At that time you would hear the sounds of Gillig Phantoms, Ikarus 416s, MAN artics, GMC U.S./Canadian New Looks, Flxible New Looks and MTS GMC 5307 New Looks down this street and seeing the blue and white San Diego Transit bus stop signs. I would ride Route #20 SB from Miramar to Downtown S.D. In the beginning when I arrived there in late 1989, SDT had Canadian GMC New Looks and Flxible New Looks with a/c, running on Route 20, then later the route was operated with Gillig Phantoms or the Ikarus 416. Miramar Naval Air Station where I served while in the Navy, had a bus turnaround just outside the Main Gate for both north and southbound buses. Buses would reach this turnaround by exiting Kearny Villa Rd. Today, buses now travel through the Miramar "Marine" base and exit out the North gate onto Miramar road and continue its northbound trip to North County/Escondido where you would meet the buses of the North San Diego County Transit system. To the airport when I would fly home, I would get off along Broadway and catch a #2 bus which would take me directly to the airport. I still remember seeing MAN artics running the 7/7B routes, GMC buses of the MTS. Some early GMC 4523s were a fixture on the SDT system as well. You could hear the loud acceleration of a 400 series GM New look, 500 series Gillig or the 200 series Ikarus bus. The first New Flyers didnt begin to arrive until 1993 when the 60ft artics began to replace the MAN SG220s. And later, SDT and MTS 40ft New Flyer HF buses began to arrive as well. I remember SDT was, Im sure still is a very good running system, buses came frequently, they stayed on schedule most of the time. I rarely had a problem with a late bus. Cant wait to go back to visit SanDog!

Wow, I remember while living in San Diego, walking down Broadway downtown in the early 90s. At that time you would hear the sounds of Gillig Phantoms, Ikarus 416s, MAN artics, GMC U.S./Canadian New Looks, Flxible New Looks and MTS GMC 5307 New Looks down this street and seeing the blue and white San Diego Transit bus stop signs. I would ride Route #20 SB from Miramar to Downtown S.D. In the beginning when I arrived there in late 1989, SDT had Canadian GMC New Looks and Flxible New Looks with a/c, running on Route 20, then later the route was operated with Gillig Phantoms or the Ikarus 416. Miramar Naval Air Station where I served while in the Navy, had a bus turnaround just outside the Main Gate for both north and southbound buses. Buses would reach this turnaround by exiting Kearny Villa Rd. Today, buses now travel through the Miramar "Marine" base and exit out the North gate onto Miramar road and continue its northbound trip to North County/Escondido where you would meet the buses of the North San Diego County Transit system. To the airport when I would fly home, I would get off along Broadway and catch a #2 bus which would take me directly to the airport. I still remember seeing MAN artics running the 7/7B routes, GMC buses of the MTS. Some early GMC 4523s were a fixture on the SDT system as well. You could hear the loud acceleration of a 400 series GM New look, 500 series Gillig or the 200 series Ikarus bus. I remember SDT was, Im sure still is a very good running system, buses came frequently, they stayed on schedule most of the time. I rarely had a problem with a late bus. Cant wait to go back to visit SanDog!

I rode the 7 from downtown to Balboa Park to go to the Zoo. It seems like its a decently well run system. There suprisingly is a bus bunching problem on this route. I stood outside on Park after I got off and two more 7's were directly behind. There were a couple more instances, but overall its decent.

I rode the 7 from downtown to Balboa Park to go to the Zoo. It seems like its a decently well run system. There suprisingly is a bus bunching problem on this route. I stood outside on Park after I got off and two more 7's were directly behind. There were a couple more instances, but overall its decent.

There tends to be bunching on the 7, the 11 (long route from San Diego State University, through Mid-City and Banker's Hill to Downtown and then south to Paradise Valley), and sometimes the 2. SDMTS is pretty well-run, unfortunately the service is neither as extensive nor as frequent as the CTA. The trolley is pretty nice, but there isn't service up the coast to UC San Diego or up the I-15 corridor where a lot of jobs are located.

There tends to be bunching on the 7, the 11 (long route from San Diego State University, through Mid-City and Banker's Hill to Downtown and then south to Paradise Valley), and sometimes the 2. SDMTS is pretty well-run, unfortunately the service is neither as extensive nor as frequent as the CTA. The trolley is pretty nice, but there isn't service up the coast to UC San Diego or up the I-15 corridor where a lot of jobs are located.

I remember there wasant much service up along I-15 up near Poway. There is MTS service but its very limited as far as service hours. Most of the service tends to be closer to the coastline. N San Diego Cty Transit pretty much has the corridor from LaJolla beach all the way up to Oceanside. I remember at one time they operated an all Flxible Metro fleet. The Oceanside Transit Ctr all you would see were 40ft Flx Metros.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing them. I like that paint scheme as well, and those front doors just look weird IMO.

In pic #4 I see a tap and ride reader, is that a station or do they have an honor fare system or something?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing them. I like that paint scheme as well, and those front doors just look weird IMO.

In pic #4 I see a tap and ride reader, is that a station or do they have an honor fare system or something?

It looks like a tap and ride. I know the San Diego Trolley system has and honor system where you buy tickets in the station and you board the train with no one checking. Los Angeles Red Line subway is the same way.

Yes it is. I was actually at the Trolley Stop and there was a Tap and Ride. The entire region has what they call a "Compass Card" which is good on both transit systems in the region (MTS, NCTD). The entire system (with the exception of Bus) is honor based.