Webwatch, a half-hearted endeavor

westing

OFF TOPIC: How do you view the Pace Bustracker? All I get is a blue screen that says "Siemens Transit Master Webwatch". Do you have to download something?

As probably noted up in this thread, there isn't a public link, so you have to use http://gis.pacebus.com/webwatch/map.aspx.

Also, on the left side, there is a button for downloading Adobe SVG viewer, which you have to do. Usually, if it isn't installed, you will get a dialog box asking to install it.

Also, note that:

• Only version 3.0 of the SVG viewer works.
  • It only works with Internet Explorer (at least in this application).

With the maps not being updated, I can see why this is not public. Now that CTA has used Google Maps, that seems to be a better solution.

Read the rest of this thread regarding other quibbles with the system.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Thanks Busjack :) I wasn't sure. I have A Mac so I use Safari therefore it won't work for me I guess but thats okay. Also clicking on the Adobe SVG link it says at the top of the page :

Please note that Adobe has announced that it will discontinue support for Adobe SVG Viewer on January 1, 2009.
wonder how that affects stuff.

• 1 month later...
Also clicking on the Adobe SVG link it says at the top of the page : wonder how that affects stuff.
For that matter, the message today was "Doctype name doesn't match root element name. No image drawn." Apparently the end of the mapping function, flawed as it was.

• 4 months later...

Trying a direct link to the WebWatch map today, I saw that the pull down for routes was not populated.

Going in the conventional way, there is a message:

Upgrade in Progress. Thank you for your patience.
Hopefully, there will be something better, as it hasn't received any maintenance in about 4 years, and the rest of you noted that Adobe SVG Reader is no longer supported.

If the map is construed as being the Metra Station, the bus is not physically there. Of course, the graphic extends over the Edens Spur.

A logical standpoint. Do we know for sure this bus was not physically there, or is northshore using this as a nightstand again. Drivers departing in haste can leave the bus on but not running. Similar to a car with the key in accessory position. It is quite possible to leave the system on overnite.

A logical standpoint. Do we know for sure this bus was not physically there, or is northshore using this as a nightstand again. Drivers departing in haste can leave the bus on but not running. Similar to a car with the key in accessory position. It is quite possible to leave the system on overnite.
At the time I knew it was not physically there, because I stopped to have a sub at Jimmy John's. There was no bus in the terminal. (Also, given the February date, the cage was not assembled).

Why test my memory about a year old sighting?

It is quite possible to leave the system on overnite.
Apparently, that is what is happening with the Niles buses, as they show up at the garage as "Destination reached" and do not start (on Sundays) until about 11:30 a.m.

post-14-1236525672_thumb.jpg

I wonder about the one supposedly at Devon and Harlem, which wouldn't be in Niles, but it isn't worth it for me to check.

• 10 months later...

With all the route cuts and other changes, will Webwatch be updated with the correct routes as well as routes that never show up currently?

If the past is prologue, the dumped routes will be gone, but nothing else will be fixed. At least this time there aren't any examples of 370 sort of becoming 372, and thus dropping off the system. Maybe 301 will be shown as "on route" on Saturday. At least, with Google Maps, this isn't a situation like the old one, when Adobe Vector Graphics was used, when a route extension just went off map.

• 3 months later...