Webwatch, a half-hearted endeavor

westing

I agree that the Pace map is a great start considering that the mouse overs also include the next three departure times at some points. However, they have to fix some of the maps, and fill in the missing ones.

I will agree that the Pace map has some flaws, including that it doesn't have a map with vehicle numbers for all of its routes, such as #411, #412, #413, and others. We could've seen bus #2729 working the Niles Free Bus routes weeks ago if there was a map for these routes on Webwatch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just on webwatch when I saw 6679 doing route 302. I didn't know west have 35ft expect [sic] for 2666 which mainly does 319 during rush-hours.
Certainly not where we expected 6679. I guess it proves it is no longer in Highland Park, and with 2635 seen by others at North Shore and by me on Webwatch, I guess HP didn't need as many buses as it theoretically was first assigned.

I have seen, and also noted on Webwatch, both 2665 and 2666 on the Elmhurst 643/645 route, so I guess one of them is there and (from your and other reports) the other on Grand. Both are 30 foot buses, however.

Wow 6679 is on #302, that is strange.

Also in addition to 2666, West also has 2665 mainly for use on #319, #643, and #645.

It's true, as far as 6679 is concerned. Today I saw 6679 on Route #320 (Madison Street, working the midday runs between Austin Boulevard and the CTA's Forest Park Blue Line station).

It's true, as far as 6679 is concerned. Today I saw 6679 on Route #320 (Madison Street, working the midday runs between Austin Boulevard and the CTA's Forest Park Blue Line station).

What's more, I did ride on 6679 yesterday afternoon at around 2 p.m. on #303. And 6679 isn't the only 6600-series 35-foot NABI currently assigned to Pace West Division: Earlier today, I saw 6650, also working the midday runs on #303.

I guess that's goodbye to the 2200's

6651 also in west. As far as I'm concerned West and even North Shore should have more 30ft buses for some of their routes. As long as they don't assign them to the wrong routes like 307/322/626 they should be okay, but why does Pace West Division get all the buses. Other divisons like North/South are more in need of buses than West and I'm not talking about 30ft buses like the 2700's. Thats why I was so mad about 6323-6399 because pace could really does buses (and yes I know that 6322 is the last bus, its hard to find parts for NABI's and that they don't end up lasting like the Orion's) but anything is better than more 2700's!

Subject Change-----------------------------

Why does pace not have 60ft's like the CTA if pace doesn't have the budget for 60ft's they could adopt CTA's 60ft's like CTA did with the 4915-series (pace OrionI's) (2119) and use them for overcrowded routes other than being forced to use the 6600's!

Subject Change-----------------------------

Why does pace not have 60ft's like the CTA if pace doesn't have the budget for 60ft's they could adopt CTA's 60ft's like CTA did with the 4915-series (pace OrionI's) (2119) and use them for overcrowded routes other than being forced to use the 6600's!

The 6600s may be too small (and I have previously said that in retrospect, it was a mistake to buy them if the 2600s could do their job), but except for pace2322's argument about 352, there doesn't seem to be any Pace route that justifies an articulated under a service standard of 90 passengers per bus. Other than West and South divisions, and a few other examples such as 270, 290, and 381, one could argue that there aren't many Pace routes that justify a 40 foot bus. Apparently Joliet needs a lot fewer than it once had (having traded 5 40 footers to North Shore for 5 35 footers).

Also, why would Pace want CTA junk? There is no argument about that CTA wears out its equipment before it replaces it? The justification for CTA using 7300s and 4915s as stop gaps was that the other transit authorities had used them more lightly. And note that neither lasted on CTA property for more than a year or two.

As announced last month, the CTA is looking to lease 150 hybrid articulated buses from New Flyer of America. With operational funding now secured, the CTA is expected to move ahead with the lease. The new buses will supplement the troublesome NABI articulated fleet and replace aging, high-maintenance 40-foot vehicles. Once the New Flyer hybrids arrive, a portion of the NABI fleet is expected to undergo maintenance to repair at least some of the recurring problems with the vehicles.

Maybe getting back to the point of this topic. With the weather like it is at the moment, I saw all sorts of Pace buses stuck in traffic. You would think that this would be a time when WebWatch would be of value, but "the system is [again] temporarily unavailable."

Maybe it is just for the bus geeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another bizarre one. If you remember, jesi said he saw 2635 on 626, and I said that Webwatch confirmed that. Usually it turns up at the Lake-Cook Metra.

Well, anyway, Webwatch (being stuck on a cookie) opened today with the 626 map. Although it says "No Scheduled Stops" which is correct for Saturday, 2635 is still on the map there.

Very strange. Is there an electronics wiz with the answer?

Yeah I have noticed that too, I think the bus must sign up to do another route to appear on a different map. I think #626 was the last route 2635 operated on and has not left North Shore since then, this happened to others too.

2417 has been sitting near the Hazel Crest Metra Station on the #352 for over a month now. :P

Also some other news WebWatch confirms 6643 and 6644 are now at West.

Yeah I have noticed that too, I think the bus must sign up to do another route to appear on a different map

If the map is construed as being the Metra Station, the bus is not physically there. Of course, the graphic extends over the Edens Spur.

• 1 month later...

At least the ghost of 2635 has left the Lake Cook Metra station on 626.

There are scheduled times for the Naperville routes on the arrival and departure links. However, I must have hit the morning rush hour too late to get an idea if they were actual.

• 2 weeks later...