Fire suppression system on a New Flyer.

ryanbytes

I was having a fun time riding a bus up Lincoln when something caught my eye. A red button labeled "fire" over the driver side front window. I took a very poor picture.

Here's another picture that's not zoomed in so far.

It was a New Flyer with the bus number 5839.

I've never seen a system like that on any bus I've ever been on. The only information I could find about New Flyer buses with fire suppression systems is related to alternative fuel versions. I wanted to ask the driver but that bus was vibrating so badly there was no way I could unless I got into his ear. He was having a bad enough day with his eyes bouncing into tomorrow. I figured he didn't need some doofus bugging him about a button.

So what exactly did I see and what was I riding in wise ones? :D

Ryanbytes, you made a very good guess on what that button is for! I spoke to a Lincoln Ave. Bus Driver on Bus # 5803 just a short time back and he said that button activates a internal fire extenguisher in the engine to supress a fire. However, I didn't see that button on this bus. So I would presume that only certain buses have this as a trial system perhaps. Look on the NOVA LFS's, the NABI 60-LFW's, and the other buses coming in to maybe have this button. Also, check the Flxible(6000) series as some(or all) may have this button. Good guess!!! :D

It wouldn't suprise me that this was part of the rebuilding, since (I believe) 5842 and 5853 had engine fires. Were these subsquently rehabbed?

Also, the best engine fire irony I saw was 7380, which on the side had a "Toasted" advertisement (from Quizno's).

• Upvote 1

It annoys me when they don't mention bus #'s in accidents or fires. How do you know what bus type it was then? I wish they would report something like this....

Around 9 a.m Wednesday, bus # 5482 had a brake fire on the #74 bus route. Passengers were ordered to evacuate as firefighters arrived and put out the flames. Another bus came shortly and picked up the passengers of the bus.

That's how they should report stuff like this.