Free Rides for Seniors

Busjack

Free Rides for Seniors  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be repealed

• Yes
    • No

Quinn didn't say that he would veto it, only that he wouldn't sign it. He could let it sit 60 days and become law.

Trying to read the tea leaves, it looks like a big income tax increase is in the offing, but other than that, I wouldn't try to read too much into these early pronouncements, especially since a budget has not been unveiled yet, and Quinn, unlike Blago, may negotiate with the legislature, instead of put down ultimata.

• 9 months later...

Since this deals more with the free rides point:

Here is an update from the Tribune. Seems his card didn't register and that fueled the fire.

Given that the passenger had unusual physical capabilities for an 82 year old, which he used illegally,but also given that he had a pass and obviously was of the class of persons intended to by benefited by "Blago's largess," why didn't the driver just wave the guy through and avoid a punch to the face? Is it that important for the CTA to document that it has given away $30,000,002.00 in free rides?

Since this deals more with the free rides point:

Given that the passenger had unusual physical capabilities for an 82 year old, which he used illegally,but also given that he had a pass and obviously was of the class of persons intended to by benefited by "Blago's largess," why didn't the driver just wave the guy through and avoid a punch to the face? Is it that important for the CTA to document that it has given away $30,000,002.00 in free rides?

I agree that the operator should have just waved the guy through. I don't know what the big deal was. While she was at it, she should have just registered another 5 freebies in the farebox and be done with it.

Is it that important...sure !!! Gives them a reason to blame something or someone else for their shortcomings in financial management.

I agree that the operator should have just waved the guy through. I don't know what the big deal was. While she was at it, she should have just registered another 5 freebies in the farebox and be done with it.

Is it that important...sure !!! Gives them a reason to blame something or someone else for their shortcomings in financial management.

Yeah maybe she should have waved him through. That much I'll agree with. But at the same time in her defense she was following policy. Both she and the old guy are unfortunate results of bad financial decisions from CTA MANAGEMENT. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of blaming the operator for which ultimately falls on management's lap. And the senior wasn't exactly an innocent party here since he did in fact brake the law once he attacked the operator and then police once they got there. The operator was in a Catch-22. D@$#ed by management if she broke policy and d@$#ed by everyone else for not brushing him through.