Free Rides for Seniors

Busjack

Free Rides for Seniors  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be repealed

• Yes
    • No

Now that Governor [expletive deleted] is gone, what's your opinion on this?

Also, since I said that betting doesn't work if there is an indefinite timeline, let's say before the November 2010 general elections.

My opinion is that the legislature won't take back an entitlement, no matter how badly conceived, and even though the panderer can no longer benefit, but what do you think?

Now that Governor [expletive deleted] is gone, what's your opinion on this?

Also, since I said that betting doesn't work if there is an indefinite timeline, let's say before the November 2010 general elections.

My opinion is that the legislature won't take back an entitlement, no matter how badly conceived, and even though the panderer can no longer benefit, but what do you think?

This is somewhat of a political hot potato. If one person stands up and says "no to seniors" then they know they will lose votes because of it. I think the benefit will slowly fade away so it is not so noticed by the public or a deadline will pass to continue it and will be missed (by mistake of course) :P Somewhat similar to what happened with the 7% tax assessment law. This way it can't be pinned on one person.

I think the benefit will slowly fade away so it is not so noticed by the public or a deadline will pass to continue it and will be missed (by mistake of course) :P Somewhat similar to what happened with the 7% tax assessment law. This way it can't be pinned on one person.
However, the veto message didn't contain any sunset provision, unlike the tax assessment problem, which assumed that assessments have a three year cycle.

I agree with the hot potato point.

This is somewhat of a political hot potato. If one person stands up and says "no to seniors" then they know they will lose votes because of it. I think the benefit will slowly fade away so it is not so noticed by the public or a deadline will pass to continue it and will be missed (by mistake of course) :P Somewhat similar to what happened with the 7% tax assessment law. This way it can't be pinned on one person.

I'll agree that it is a hot potato. No one wants to be in a position to say no to seniors on a benefit. Though Blago can benefit no longer because he's out and disqualified from running and servicing in public office again in Illinois (though it might not fly on the federal level, such as returning to the U.S. House or trying for the Senate, even if his political rep is gone for years to come) this is one act by Blago that can't be taken back.

Much as I'd like to see it repealed(nothing against senior citizens, but our increase is partly due to their free rides), I know it won't. Too many members of the House and Senate will probably vote "No" to a bill repealing it. Pat Quinn will not introduce or sign a bill repealing it if he plans to run for Governor in 2010. Blagojevich hurt us big on this one... and there is no way to repeal it unless they give a bittersweet deal to seniors... Something like 1/2 fare Mon-Fri, and free rides on Sat. and Sun.

Possible with something bittersweet like this passing House and Senate?.... Maybe barely possible, although this is, IMO, the best way to have seniors pay at least 1/2 fare during the week. I highly doubt it'll get enough votes to go all the way to the Gov., who may just veto it totally if it does make it to his desk(especially if he's got plans to run in 2010).

Possible with total repeal and no free rides?.... To quote some of Chef Gordon Ramsay from "Hell's Kitchen"... 'Oh, for f___ sake'!!! 'What is this'??? 'GET OUT'!!! 'NOT GOOD ENOUGH'!!! I highly doubt it'll get enough votes to go all the way to the Gov., who may just veto it totally(again, if he's planning to run for Gov. in 2010, he'll need all the votes he can get).

(though it might not fly on the federal level, such as returning to the U.S. House or trying for the Senate, even if his political rep is gone for years to come)

[shudders at thought]

Please don't give Blago these ideas, jajuan!!! He hides out for a while until this all blows over somewhat, becomes Senator Blagojevich for another state, then even.... dare I say it.... runs for.... PRESIDENT and manages to get the Oval Office(either legally or by pay to play)? [stomach getting upset] God, I hope nothing like this happens!!!

January 29, 2009 4:50p: Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich

January 29, 2009 4:51p: Mr. Rod Blagojevich

January 29, 2009 4:55p: Mr. Rod Blagojevich w/ ban on Public Office in Illinois

20xx: Mr. Rod Blagojevich runs for U.S Senate, wins either legally(yeah, right <_< ) or through pay to play

20xx: Senator Blagojevich runs for President, and somehow manages to win :unsure:

First order of Blagojevich as C.I.C... Give Cabinet positions away to the highest bidders(c'mon fellow chicagobus.org members!!! Look for them on E-Bay!!! Even we can be a Secretary of something if we give Blago the money!!!) The White House will be [bleeping] golden!!! He'll sign a law where he can maintain the office of President for as long as he likes because he won't give it up for [bleeping] nothing!!!

President Blagojevich???.... :unsure:<_< God help the United States!!! :(

[shudders at thought]

jajuan doesn't have to give him the thought. However, probably his next job will be either breaking rocks with a sledge hammer, or as those posting on the Sun-Times forums indicate, singing like a canary.

Probably one President from Illinois every 150 years is enough.

Leno, Letterman, and Ferguson sure could use the material, though.

I think the biggest problem with seniors riding free is inadequate public transit funding.

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and raise taxes if necessary to cover these expenses.

We just did a year ago, and apparently all that did was defer Doomsday. With all sorts of word that the state will have to raise taxes in the midst of an economic meltdown, this isn't the time to revisit that part of the RTA Act.

[shudders at thought]

Please don't give Blago these ideas, jajuan!!! He hides out for a while until this all blows over somewhat, becomes Senator Blagojevich for another state, then even.... dare I say it.... runs for.... PRESIDENT and manages to get the Oval Office(either legally or by pay to play)? [stomach getting upset] God, I hope nothing like this happens!!!

January 29, 2009 4:50p: Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich

January 29, 2009 4:51p: Mr. Rod Blagojevich

January 29, 2009 4:55p: Mr. Rod Blagojevich w/ ban on Public Office in Illinois

20xx: Mr. Rod Blagojevich runs for U.S Senate, wins either legally(yeah, right <_< ) or through pay to play

20xx: Senator Blagojevich runs for President, and somehow manages to win :unsure:

First order of Blagojevich as C.I.C... Give Cabinet positions away to the highest bidders(c'mon fellow chicagobus.org members!!! Look for them on E-Bay!!! Even we can be a Secretary of something if we give Blago the money!!!) The White House will be [bleeping] golden!!! He'll sign a law where he can maintain the office of President for as long as he likes because he won't give it up for [bleeping] nothing!!!

Please! God help us now! We have enough clowns from this state in Washington already!

The Gov. is probably not too worried about repealing the seniors ride free program. The state's not really losing the money it's the CTA itself. Sounds like this was right up Blago alley. Come up with a plan that makes a third party pay. And then choke on a subsidy, leaving them to pay for his plan.

I voted "yes".

I think it can be done. But it would probably have to be 'snuck' through as a paragraph or line item in the comprehensive transit funding package for which all public transportation agencies in Illinois have been clamoring.

I would be open to only requiring fare payment during weekday rush hours, but have the nightmare image of a senior boarding a bus at [e.g.] 3:01 pm; being told by the operator he needs to pay - retorting that he began his trip at 2:20 pm, and that this counts as part of that ride.

This is something with which CTA can be completely transparent. Seniors are riding in increased numbers, and many of them are doing so during rush hours. CTA loses revenue, and must somehow increase the number of buses running at this time in order to accomodate non-fare-paying passengers. :unsure:

I voted "yes".

I think it can be done. But it would probably have to be 'snuck' through as a paragraph or line item in the comprehensive transit funding package

Unless you meant a capital bill, since I don't think the RTA Act is going to be revisited. It might also get hidden in a large budget bill.

State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias was on Channel 11 last night. Besides the usual "we don't know how big the deficit is" and the concluding blather, he was asked whether the state would undo some of Blagojevich's things, especially Free Rides for Seniors. He said it wasn't up to him, but no one had asked for it, Blago hadn't consulted with the RTA or CTA before announcing it in a press release, and the CTA had its own structural deficit.

Thus, you wonder whether he has the pulse of the legislature or not.

Well, it seems like we got a Trib reporter pulling the "Stop Requested" cord to repeal the free senior rides program and return to the 1/2 fare idea(I say it's a good idea, but I'm just a citizen, not a Illinois Senator or House Member), but will the House, Senate, and Governor bite on the idea if one of them reads the Tribune and says 'you know, he's got a point! Let's try to undo Gov. Cowboy's slamming this down our throats to bail out the CTA, causing more economic woes for the taxpayers, CTA, PACE, Metra, and the state of Illinois in general.'

Article is here... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ope...,0,229888.story

Well, it seems like we got a Trib reporter
Except that he is one of their few conservative columnists. A couple of years ago he blasted how the CTA was run (rightfully so, in my opinion, but I know 2 people who won't agree).

15 months later, he was right in saying "Eventually, taxes will be raised, fares will go a little higher, some service will be 'rationalized' ...."

However, I wonder if Alexi has a better finger on the pulse, as I earlier noted. It seems like Byrne is right that if there is one thing that has Blago's name on it, it is this.

Also, he may have a point if the legislators felt that they were out maneuvered. After all, watching the vote on barring Blago from further office, Meeks voted "Absolutely," and, of course, Blago conned Meeks out of running against him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard some scuttlebut from my Mom, who is a daily Newsradio 780 listener, that the CTA is mulling around with the idea of repealing the Free Rides for both Seniors and the Disabled due to budget woes. Anyone else hear of this? And what could the potential repercussions be with doing so(i.e Seniors go down to Daley Plaza or CTA H.Q and picket)?

I heard some scuttlebut from my Mom, who is a daily Newsradio 780 listener, that the CTA is mulling around with the idea of repealing the Free Rides for both Seniors and the Disabled due to budget woes. Anyone else hear of this? And what could the potential repercussions be with doing so(i.e Seniors go down to Daley Plaza or CTA H.Q and picket)?

Actually, it was not the CTA, but the Illinois General Assembly who will take up the matter soon (according to ABC7 at 10). They claim it will be scaled back dramatically.

Anyone else hear of this? And what could the potential repercussions be with doing so(i.e Seniors go down to Daley Plaza or CTA H.Q and picket)?

I could hear the news now.... "There were Picket signs and Rascal scooters everywhere...The horror...... The horror....." Just kidding all. I think CTA should charge a quarter. Yes a quarter ! But as a start. Nickel and dime it every year to bring it up to half to bout 60% of a full fare.

Well so much for possibly eliminating the free rides... Gov. Quinn won't sign any bill repealing it(just like I thought he would say).

Furthermore, he wants to help more people living paycheck to paycheck(sure he does)... I could just see it now, 1/2 price groceries for Seniors at Jewel, Dominicks, CVS!!! Or maybe even free groceries!!! All you gotta do is show a special I.D to your Cashier and you get free groceries or 1/2 price groceries!!! Meanwhile, the people really struggling with bills(i.e car payments, home, apt., children, healthcare, etc...) have to pay full price, or even double that at the supermarkets due to Seniors being charged less or not at all!!!

When will the politicans just say 'no' to taking costs away from the Seniors? <_<

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_...or-seniors.html

Well, here's the chances of the "Free Rides" program being overhauled for just Senior Citizens w/low income only.... NOT GOOD!!!

According to the CTA Tattler, it will take 71 votes in the House and 36 in the Senate.

Anyone think we might have a chance of reaching those numbers to break any veto by Pat Quinn(who, BTW isn't getting my vote by doing this... he's hurting mass transit BIG time with this).