Archiving the sounds of buses

Jon

Two days ago a 5800 series NF showed up on the 36 at Clark/Division. Excited at this, I promptly brought my self to the rear bench and sat down. While making our way north on Clark, it occurred to me that I really like hearing the engines. It also occurred to me that if I wanted to remember and feel the power of of the 5800 series engines, I'd better do something about it.

So starting on the 6th of February, I started bringing my Edirol R-09HR with me so I could archive each ride's unique presentation of whatever-bus-I-end-up-on's engine. Not just the 5800 series NF's, but every bus I was on. Excluding Novas, as I have no wish to remember the rides I've taken on them...

If anyone's interested, I'll be uploading whatever it is that I record. Detailed information is included as a constant slide in the video.

They're a little quiet, but it works alright. I'll be messing around with different placements of the recorder and its settings to see if I can't get some better audio.

Enjoy if you like :) :

The Archive

Sounds of the CTA Archive #1 - New Flyer D40LF #1887

Sounds of the CTA Archive #2 - Flxible Metro #6173

Sounds of the CTA Archive #3 - New Flyer D40LF #1483

Sounds of the CTA Archive #4 - New Flyer D40LF #1593

Sounds of the CTA Archive #5 - Flxible Metro #6120

Sounds of the CTA Archive #6 - Flxible Metro #6112

Sounds of the CTA Archive #7 - New Flyer D40LF #1599

Sounds of the CTA Archive #8 - Flxible Metro #6174

Sounds of the CTA Archive #9 - New Flyer D40LF #1501

Sounds of the CTA Archive #10 - New Flyer D40LF #1563

Sounds of the CTA Archive #11 - New Flyer D40LF #1899

Sounds of the CTA Archive #12 - Flxible Metro #6122

Sounds of the CTA Archive #13 - New Flyer D40LF #1803

Two days ago a 5800 series NF showed up on the 36 at Clark/Division. Excited at this, I promptly brought my self to the rear bench and sat down. While making our way north on Clark, it occurred to me that I really like hearing the engines. It also occurred to me that if I wanted to remember and feel the power of of the 5800 series engines, I'd better do something about it.

So starting on the 6th of February, I started bringing my Edirol R-09HR with me so I could archive each ride's unique presentation of whatever-bus-I-end-up-on's engine. Not just the 5800 series NF's, but every bus I was on. Excluding Novas, as I have no wish to remember the rides I've taken on them...

If anyone's interested, I'll be uploading whatever it is that I record. Detailed information is included as a constant slide in the video.

They're a little quiet, but it works alright. I'll be messing around with different placements of the recorder and its settings to see if I can't get some better audio.

Enjoy if you like :) :

The sounds of buses, good topic! If there is one Id like to hear it would be the 5000-5500 Flxible propanes. Since they werent diesel powered Im sure the propane engine had a sound all its own. Does anyone have a sound bite or at least give me an idea or comparison of what a Flxible propane bus sounded like? This has always fascinated me for years. Ive seen videos and pics of the buses but never a sound bite.

Great idea!

I grew up one block west of Kedzie and my attic bedroom window faced the back of the house. Nothing but a parking lot between my window and Kedzie Ave.

Because of having the window open on warm summer nights, I can permanently recognize the sound of one of those old 1973ish GMC buses, the ones that were on the streets for over 20 years. This was in their later days (1988-1994) that I was in that bedroom... so the transmission whine (downshifting, upshifting, clunking) and the brakes are sounds that I will ALWAYS recall. I heard it at least 8 times a night and more when I tried to sleep in during morning rush hour!

Side note not related to the topic: Anyone here been a driver? I always wondered how those big green machines handled and how they were to drive. I can't imagine they were very nimble. But I remember some pretty brazen CTA drivers both on the 52A South Kedzie and the 9 Ashland who would get those buses moving. Riding on a full capacity bus on the #9 in the front window I always wondered how close they would get to the car in front of them when stopping and if today was going to be the day I went through the front window, lol. The sounds, by the way, were a lot louder inside the bus, if you happened to be standing on the right spot in the floor, which must have been right above the torque converter or the trans.

Thanks to everyone for all the postings here on the forum, I've been reading threads for a while and decided to chime in today for the first time.

I would.... if they worked!!! :angry: This is what I get when I click them...

We're sorry, but this video may not be available.

If this video was recently uploaded, it may still be processing.

If this video is yours, you can check its status.

To see more videos visit our home page.

I would.... if they worked!!! :angry: This is what I get when I click them...

We're sorry, but this video may not be available.

If this video was recently uploaded, it may still be processing.

If this video is yours, you can check its status.

To see more videos visit our home page.

:( I know, I know, I'm sorry. It occurred to me after I uploaded them that I wanted to have them linked to my business address. I'm getting them uploaded as we speak!

There we go, got 'em back up!

Not just the 5800 series NF's, but every bus I was on. Excluding Novas, as I have no wish to remember the rides I've taken on them...

I like the recordings... if I didn't have to blast my audio to hear them, it'd be better though. But aside from that, I like your idea of documenting the CTA buses so we can remember the sounds of their motors.

"Excluding Novas"

I personally don't want to get into your turnoff of the NOVAs(personally, I like the Cummins hum this bus puts out. It sounds like your being driven in a diesel-powered pickup or something like that). I would like, as a member of chicagobus.org, to see you record at least one NOVA.... please!!! You do this, and you'll make me very :)

I like the recordings... if I didn't have to blast my audio to hear them, it'd be better though. But aside from that, I like your idea of documenting the CTA buses so we can remember the sounds of their motors.

"Excluding Novas"

I personally don't want to get into your turnoff of the NOVAs(personally, I like the Cummins hum this bus puts out. It sounds like your being driven in a diesel-powered pickup or something like that). I would like, as a member of chicagobus.org, to see you record at least one NOVA.... please!!! You do this, and you'll make me very :)

As I mentioned, I'll see what I can do about the volume. I might try a low cut-off, because the low frequency hit you get when the buses go over bumps creates large spikes, which limits how far I can amplify the recording without clipping. As I mentioned I'll be fooling around with the recorder to see what settings give me the best results.

I'll see what I can do about the NOVA...sometimes I'll end up on one around the same time I got on the Flxible. For me, the NOVAs are not comfortable rides, they're just barely above the NABIs, and they don't sound that great to me, and they're not high floor! 22/36 and 152 get the most rides from me; the 22 sees Flxibles every now and again, but I have the highest chance of getting a Metro on the 152, and that's not a high chance to begin with since the 152 is infested with NOVAs. They should've retired the NOVAs and kept all the 6000s. I've been on so many NOVAs with completely shot shocks and a few that just stop working in transit. I wouldn't mind them so much if the cruddy buses weren't being used in place of the Metros. I can go on and on about my dislike of NOVAs...

Anyhow, there should be no less than two tomorrow, and there may very well be five on Tuesday due to an extra trip I have to make. :)

I'll see what I can do about the NOVA...sometimes I'll end up on one around the same time I got on the Flxible. For me, the NOVAs are not comfortable rides, they're just barely above the NABIs, and they don't sound that great to me, and they're not high floor! 22/36 and 152 get the most rides from me; the 22 sees Flxibles every now and again, but I have the highest chance of getting a Metro on the 152, and that's not a high chance to begin with since the 152 is infested with NOVAs. They should've retired the NOVAs and kept all the 6000s. I've been on so many NOVAs with completely shot shocks and a few that just stop working in transit. I wouldn't mind them so much if the cruddy buses weren't being used in place of the Metros. I can go on and on about my dislike of NOVAs...

But according to reliable sources, the 6000 Flxible Metros are not currently being retired, either. Even though some members here don't like, the 7500 NABIs are starting to bite the dust (although I don't know if any have been scrapped yet).

So out of the 330 original 6000s, only 31 have been retired, which leaves the current total at 299. And in my opinion, it is very easy to find a 6000 on corriders such as Addison and Belmont during weekdays.

I certainly would like to hear the GM V-8 Diesels that powered the Milwaukee 3200 series RTS buses. They sounded so tough, like the old Greyhound buses.

The CTA GMCs, both 5301 and 5307s were cool sounding as well.

When I worked at Kedzie years ago, they had Flxible #8499 stored there I rarely had the chance to hear that bus. I did see that bus moved a couple of times, but I was very curious to hear how that engine sounded. It sounds a bit different than the other Flxibles.

I gave the hard limiter a shot today, that just made the clipping a whole bunch of pops instead of distortion.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. :lol:

Here's what we got today..

I gave the hard limiter a shot today, that just made the clipping a whole bunch of pops instead of distortion.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. :lol:

Here's what we got today..

I still gotta turn the speakers up, but much clearer sound now... going in the right direction here! :mellow:

If there is one Id like to hear it would be the 5000-5500 Flxible propanes. Since they werent diesel powered Im sure the propane engine had a sound all its own. Does anyone have a sound bite or at least give me an idea or comparison of what a Flxible propane bus sounded like?
I would love to hear a propane Flxible as well, though I expect one would be hard to come by today. I would rather hear one of the 8700's but I would be satisfied with any propane transit bus. I always figured they would sound somewhat like a gasoline/propane school bus does where the engine is not really all that loud and you hear the transmission very distinctly. I know that CHBM has an 8700 but I am not sure that it runs.

So starting on the 6th of February, I started bringing my Edirol R-09HR with me so I could archive each ride's unique presentation of whatever-bus-I-end-up-on's engine.

Sound (and video) recordings are a great idea. I always enjoy hearing/watching them online. I would love to see more Chicago and Midwestern stuff out there. Everything on the web seems to be Canadian or the NYC area. NYC has enough of their influence everywhere, long live Chicagoland and the Midwest.

Not just the 5800 series NF's, but every bus I was on. Excluding Novas, as I have no wish to remember the rides I've taken on them...

I understand where you’re coming from on this but.... there were plenty of buses that I disliked back in the day and now that they are gone I would even like to reminisce on what they were like again.

Anyway, great idea, I'll look forward to your work. B)

I would love to hear a propane Flxible as well, though I expect one would be hard to come by today. I would rather hear one of the 8700's but I would be satisfied with any propane transit bus. I always figured they would sound somewhat like a gasoline/propane school bus does where the engine is not really all that loud and you hear the transmission very distinctly. I know that CHBM has an 8700 but I am not sure that it runs.

Sound (and video) recordings are a great idea. I always enjoy hearing/watching them online. I would love to see more Chicago and Midwestern stuff out there. Everything on the web seems to be Canadian or the NYC area. NYC has enough of their influence everywhere, long live Chicagoland and the Midwest.

I understand where you’re coming from on this but.... there were plenty of buses that I disliked back in the day and now that they are gone I would even like to reminisce on what they were like again.

Anyway, great idea, I'll look forward to your work. B)

I am a member of CHBM, Flxible #8715 unfortunately does not run.

Here are a few more.

The latest one, recorded earlier today, utilises my new microphones and preamp, eventually I should get the quality to be much better than it is now.

Note-

Seems Google is going to take away the upload feature of Google Video..do they ever give anything or is it just take take take?

Anyone know of any alternatives to Google Video so I can continue uploading these?

Here are a few more.

The latest one, recorded earlier today, utilises my new microphones and preamp, eventually I should get the quality to be much better than it is now.

Note-

Seems Google is going to take away the upload feature of Google Video..do they ever give anything or is it just take take take?

Anyone know of any alternatives to Google Video so I can continue uploading these?

Yeah.... Youtube! You can upload sounds to a black screen. I've seen people do that.

Yeah.... Youtube! You can upload sounds to a black screen. I've seen people do that.

Can't rightly upload videos > 10 minutes on Youtube. Google took that power away from everyone that didn't have a director account some time ago.

Can't rightly upload videos > 10 minutes on Youtube. Google took that power away from everyone that didn't have a director account some time ago.

There are a few other options:

• Vimeo has a 500MB total weekly upload cap (no duration limits).
  • Viddler has a 500MB cap, per video (no duration limits).

There are probably dozens of other less restrictive YouTube clones out there as well, but those are the two that immediately come to mind.

I've got the setup worked out so the clipping isn't so bad and the volume is decent. #11 is a bit quiet, but #12 and #13 are the better ones. I'm ticked, though, because I got on at Addison/Campbell on 6122, but, I didn't start recording until the Addison Brown Line.

The way the R-09 works is that you press the record button once and it allows you to adjust the volume before recording, and, then you press it once more to start; the thing is, I thought I had pressed it twice and didn't notice, while checking the volume level, that the counter still read 00:00:00. :lol: I always start recording a little before the bus pulls up, but I guess I didn't press it quite hard enough the second time. So I've only got 7 minutes of 6122. :(

Sounds of the CTA Archive #11 - New Flyer D40LF #1899

Sounds of the CTA Archive #12 - Flxible Metro #6122

Sounds of the CTA Archive #13 - New Flyer D40LF #1803